• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Octavo wheel & Tyre Fitment

SydneyTii

I've read the wheel and tyre fitment post, and I think a 185x70/13 tyre will work on my Octavos, my car is fitted with bilstein shocks and inserts and eibach sport springs which drop her down by about 1.5 inches, I also run fixed camber plates, my question is whether a 185 fits without issue,with this particular combo,  is there anyone on here running a very close suspension spec to this with these wheels, I think from memory I have seen a post, but buggered if I can find it?

if not... well I guess it's suck it and see as they say.

Tia 

i may may be going nuts, but has the insert picture button disappeared?

probably user error?

Edited by SydneyTii

The Octavo’s appear to be 5 1/2” rims. Are they ET18? (My ET18 guess assumes they are e21 rims.)

I believe that 185/70 on an ET18 rim, on a lowered car, will have rubbing issues at some wheel positions. Others will say they’ve run wider tires on wider rims with lower offset and never had an issue.... ?

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Hi Steve, they were manufactured by 100+ aka GB wheels, and were a dealer fitted option certainly in the UK on 02's, the same manufacturer also made wheels for the UK market Baur model.

They seem to measure from et19 to et22 depending who measures them, I've never seen them on an e21 only 02's

I'm thinking with camber plates they will clear the front fenders, I could also go to 175 tyres as on 5.5" wheels they should clear easily.

I will go and measure today, stay tuned.

Ok so total width of wheel, outside  edge to outside edge 162 

Rear Hub face to rear of wheel 100mm 

so if I remember how to do this correctly,

the math is

162/2 = 81 

81 is centre line of wheel 

so 100-81 = 19

so et19 

i think at the back it's a no issue, and at the front the camber plates have given me a good deal more clearance, maybe as much as 10mm extra clearance.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Used to run them on the car a long time ago. I think they were 5.5" wide. They fit well. The widest tire i had was 215 R13. i do not remember the aspect ratio. With 215, the fenders had to be rolled. 185 should be perfect.

Non flared with 215 tire

Flared with 225 tire

steve k.

• Like 2

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

I recently bought a set of 5.5" x 13" Octavos, and, with 185/70 tyres they fit on my Touring with no problems...yet. I have not really driven the car in earnest. For 20 years I rode around on the E21 Alpina style alloys with no problems and the Octavos appear to be the same spec basically.

I did have to buy a pair of 2mm spacers for the rears as the "aftermarket" looking centre/hub caps didn't clear the end of the hub.

Your hub caps look like the real deal, so you probably won't have that problem...…...got any more???

Cheers,

Les

Forgot to mention - I have Bilstein HDs & (I think) suspension techs springs, so slightly lowered.

Edited by 02Les
added text
  • Like 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Thanks Steve, mate that looks fantastic, some great pics in your collection.

Yes I think it will be fine, I remember doing the math for the camber plates, and the collateral clearance impact of the plates for a significant (well for an 02 anyway) increase in top of tyre to fender clearance of about 1cm.

if they were 6" wheels and et13 I think it would be a different outcome, but 5.5" and et 19 should be ok.

15 minutes ago, 02Les said:

I recently bought a set of 5.5" x 13" Octavos, and, with 185/70 tyres they fit on my Touring with no problems...yet. I have not really driven the car in earnest. For 20 years I rode around on the E21 Alpina style alloys with no problems and the Octavos appear to be the same spec basically.

I did have to buy a pair of 2mm spacers for the rears as the "aftermarket" looking centre/hub caps didn't clear the end of the hub.

Your hub caps look like the real deal, so you probably won't have that problem...…...got any more???

Cheers,

Les

I'm going to sound like an old bugger now ? But the older I get the more I like the BMW or period after market wheels, don't get me wrong I like the look of some big wheels, they are just not for me.

The turbines, and BBS Mahle wheels, in my eyes anyway, are great looking good quality wheels.

Funnily enough for a while it was hard to get centre caps, I got mine at minispares in the uk, there was several vendors that had them now. Midland wheels again in the Uk have also resurfaced and had them agiain.

id like to get a spare wheel the same as well, these were very rough when I got them, I got them straightened and one lip welded ( it was curbed) and hand stripped and polished the rest, they are clear coated everywhere but the lip, as I quite like poloishing that bit, I then hit them with poor boys wheel wax.

They've come up ok I think, they will certainly be easier to clean than the e30 basket weaves I have on now. I am now in the same camp as Marshall (ssh keep it quiet) in them being a bugger to keep clean when you use the car a lot!

On 6/21/2019 at 4:07 PM, SydneyTii said:

Hi Steve, they were manufactured by 100+ aka GB wheels, and were a dealer fitted option certainly in the UK on 02's, the same manufacturer also made wheels for the UK market Baur model.

They seem to measure from et19 to et22 depending who measures them, I've never seen them on an e21 only 02's

I'm thinking with camber plates they will clear the front fenders, I could also go to 175 tyres as on 5.5" wheels they should clear easily.

I will go and measure today, stay tuned.

I have a partial list of Octavo part numbers from 100+ and they sold only one 5.5x13 Octavo. Part number 21355. Advertised offset is ET18. They offered two 6x13 offsets, ET18 and ET25.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

I have a partial list of Octavo part numbers from 100+ and they sold only one 5.5x13 Octavo. Part number 21355. Advertised offset is ET18. They offered two 6x13 offsets, ET18 and ET25.

Thanks for the info,

Ok looks like mine must be the et18 version as they are 5.5, should still be ok with 185's given my suspension setup. 

Your general measurement experience is consistent with mine. In measuring wheels against advertised offset I've found that they consistently measure at least one mm more than advertised, and that the advertised offset might as well be described as "not less than" rather than an absolute value. ? 

• Like 2

• Administrators
10 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Can you, please, add the information you have on the Octavio wheels to the database? https://www.bmw2002faq.com/wheels/

Thank you!

Steve K. 

• Like 1

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store