• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Octavo wheel & Tyre Fitment

SydneyTii

On 6/23/2019 at 8:13 AM, Jimmy said:

Your general measurement experience is consistent with mine. In measuring wheels against advertised offset I've found that they consistently measure at least one mm more than advertised, and that the advertised offset might as well be described as "not less than" rather than an absolute value. ? 

Consistency, Jimmy? I’m not certain I ever achieve consistency, since my measured offsets always differ from the factory specs by a millimeter or two, so I kinda say, for example, ET26 +/- 2.... As in horseshoes and hand grenades, I figure close is.... probably all I need! ?

I will, however, start looking to see if my errors tend to be...uh... uni-directional! ?

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

On 6/21/2019 at 7:07 PM, SydneyTii said:

I could also go to 175 tyres as on 5.5" wheels they should clear easily.

FYI, 175/70's on 5.5 inch rims are flirting with too much rim width and not enough tire.  If the tire is too narrow for the rim (check a fitment chart) then the tread won't lay flat regardless of inflation pressure, and you'll get premature wear on the tire's center.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

2 hours ago, mike said:

FYI, 175/70's on 5.5 inch rims are flirting with too much rim width and not enough tire.  If the tire is too narrow for the rim (check a fitment chart) then the tread won't lay flat regardless of inflation pressure, and you'll get premature wear on the tire's center.

mike

I hear you Mike, I think the 185’s are where I want to be, now to convince she who must be obeyed into CN36’s?

kidding, my wife is hugely tolerant of my obsession?

9 hours ago, SydneyTii said:

No worries Steve, will do.

I think Jimmy has a piece of what we need to add to the Octavo 5.5” and 6” listings.

And...while we’re there, we should add whatever documentation there is to establish that the 5.5” 100+ was officially a U.K. dealer-installed option. I’m aware of the 5.5” Dunlop alloy rim that was officially a U.K. dealer-installed option, but I’ve not previously seen evidence of the Octavo.

I’m not denying it was, but I want to distinguish between aftermarket rims sold by a dealer and officially-sanctioned was options for the local market. The 5.5” width is correct for one of these dealer-installed options, like the Dunlop in the U.K. and the “Italian-market” FPS in Italy — BMW endorsed no 6” rims due to their perception of fitment issues (the flared turbo is clearly a different story). And, like the Dunlop and FPS, the Octavo’s country of manufacture, the U.K., matches the intended sale market.

I’ll note that the Italian-market FPS was cast both with and without a BMW roundel, the former versions being sold through the BMW dealer network, the latter simply being aftermarket rims. (I have a set of four of these: two with and two without the roundel.) Are there Octavo’s similarly cast (or stamped) with the BMW roundel (or “BMW”)?

If there’s documentation, let’s get it out and put it in the database!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

yes I see what you mean Steve,

Mike McCartneys book refers to the 100+ wheels on the Bauer Cabrio, not the Octavo from 100+

Im hoping it would follow that you could pick from a brochure and have what you liked, but I’d suggest that stopped at locally available, and not necessarily endorsed for all dealers, so to me that means dealer installed after market option.

ive seen something in my travels, let me have a dig and if I can find it I will upload.

Certainly Jimmys item would be good.

• Like 1

What I have is an image that shows original Octavo paperwork including a partial list of Octavo part numbers. The image isn't my original content nor do I have permission to reproduce it (I don't know whose it is.)

I'm happy to copy the visible part numbers/dimensions from it if that's what you're asking.

• Like 1

• Administrators
7 hours ago, Jimmy said:

What I have is an image that shows original Octavo paperwork including a partial list of Octavo part numbers. The image isn't my original content nor do I have permission to reproduce it (I don't know whose it is.)

I'm happy to copy the visible part numbers/dimensions from it if that's what you're asking.

That will be great! Just looking for the info. 

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

On 6/23/2019 at 10:14 AM, steve k. said:

Can you, please, add the information you have on the Octavio wheels to the database? https://www.bmw2002faq.com/wheels/

Thank you!

Steve K. 

Steve, I updated the 5.5x13 and 6x13 entries. I don't have pics of the other sizes (pic required!) and I've seen that width and offset have a dramatic impact on Octavo style/appearance. The FWD offsets look like a different wheel entirely, due to the angle applied to the spokes.

Do you want me to add other sizes anyway?

Syd, sorry for crapping on your thread.

• Like 1

Not an issue...ran for a long time (back in the day) 185 / 70 x 13 tire " on 5.5" rims , then up to a 205/60 x13 tire BBS Mahle rim with out any issues. Suspension was Bilstein HD shocks with a lowered springs. I did role the rear fender lip which was definitely helpful, and is easily done

• Like 1