• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How far does this go....on BaT

joysterm

1 hour ago, conkitchen said:

Yes; however your logic-yet again-is ruining many a folk who subscribe to the "factory ran out of tii noses and used regular one's during production" excuse. 

The funny thing is they ran out of tii noses but never ran out of the tii specific notched cowls, I guess the folks in the nose division just couldn't count. 

• Haha 2

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

21 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

The funny thing is they ran out of tii noses but never ran out of the tii specific notched cowls.... 

But.... the notched cowl wasn’t a tii-specific item: it’s simply “a cowl”, and then someone cut a notch in it. I’ve always assumed this happened after the body was fully assembled but before paint was applied. The early one’s tend to be a bit more freehand, but then they appear to have invented the “notch shears”....

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Steve, the early 72 notches were cut by hand but I believe the later ones were machine stamped due to the cleanness of the cut and if you feel the underside if the cowl the later ones are undercut just a bit so it must have been cut before the top cowl piece went on, Don't know for sure but I think that whole piece went in assembled but I can't prove it

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

12 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

Baikal is the new Inca.

Hey!  Watch your mouth.

(but it is true that serious buyers seem to gravitate to Baikal) 

What is the psychology of a "no reserve" offering?  It seems to me the seller would want to achieve a certain price, or wait for a better auction or better marketplace.

Edited by PaulTWinterton

73 Inka Tii #2762958

6 hours ago, PaulTWinterton said:

What is the psychology of a "no reserve" offering?  It seems to me the seller would want to achieve a certain price, or wait for a better auction or better marketplace.

Someone in the auction business I'm sure could say it much better, but I'd say the psychology is that you are telling bidders from the outset that someone will be going home with the car rather than just bidding to have a chance of winning, the latter being a reserve auction.  If you aren't sure that you are bidding to win, bids might be half-hearted and some bidders just may not enter bidding at all if they perceive the reserve is high (and you need at least two serious, determined bidders for a good result for the seller).  No reserve removes the element of wondering if the seller has set a realistic reserve or is just fishing.  Even with BaT encouraging lower reserves to help their own cause, there still are a good percentage that end in RNM along with comments that it should have sold at the final bid price.

One seller that uses BaT as his primary means of selling cars as his own business, Jason at Denwerks, does only no reserve auctions.  Sometimes he ends up getting a bit lower result if there aren't those two determined bidders in the room at the end, but overall this has benefited his bottom line.  Of course he can average this out over many auctions and it's a different scenario for a private seller whose concern (risk) is a single car.

This particular tii is said to be sold by a private party, but apparently it is Peter Sliskovich, owner of CoupeKing who restores these cars, and that is confirmed in the description from his previous sale of an E12 5-series.  Seems to me he is playing loose with the definition of private vs. dealer, but as long as the car is titled in his name (as stated in the auction description) and the transaction doesn't go through CoupeKing at all, he can claim it as a private sale.

Edited by AlfaBMWGuy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, AlfaBMWGuy said:

This particular tii is said to be sold by a private party, but apparently it is Peter Sliskovich, owner of CoupeKing who restores these cars, and that seems to be confirmed in the comment from his previous sale of an E12 5-series.  Seems to me he is playing loose with the definition of private vs. dealer, but as long as the car is titled in his name and the transaction doesn't go through CoupeKing at all, he can claim it is private.

On Ebay it is quite common for a dealer to be noted as a Private Seller, and noted on BAT also, although usually under an alias. Rare Rides (MI), for example, churn out '02s on a regular basis on Ebay and is shown as a Private Seller.

I assume there is some monetary saving perhaps for the Seller?

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Well .. full disclosure, I snapped the pictures of this car and have one obligatory skinned knuckle earned while fiddling with it.

I won't comment other than to say it's certainly not perfect, and it's certainly not "bad".  I'd call it a "healthy survivor that has recently spent a rejuvenating weekend at the spa".  Certainly presents better than three "restorations" recently imported from a northern european restorer.

Plenty of good folks nearby who can do PPI's (which everyone should be doing anyways!).

• Like 4

Baikal is the new Inca...NEVER!!

AND when is the last time one saw a restored roundie' tii like this in Agave? I think he shot

himself in the foot with the color change....

Agave> Baikal in my book lol!!

.Maybe he's trying to replicate the one that sold at Pebble Beach for $94k....

Coupe King.....

neener.gif

Edited by iinca
  • Like 2

Note that the color change was done by the original owner back when these cars were worth peanuts.  I somehow doubt he foresaw the RISE OF BAIKAL!! (cue thematic music), or the rise of 02 values in general.

The paint is actually in great shape, considering it's age.  Perhaps a good testament to how durable paints were.

That being said, I have a friend debating a color change on a bare metal Agave restoration.... yeah... Agave's pretty slick.

Edited by AceAndrew
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

Steve, the early 72 notches were cut by hand but I believe the later ones were machine stamped due to the cleanness of the cut and if you feel the underside if the cowl the later ones are undercut just a bit so it must have been cut before the top cowl piece went on, Don't know for sure but I think that whole piece went in assembled but I can't prove it

By your description of the undercutting, it’s clear to me that you’ve looked at these more closely than I have! ? I simply picked up on the hand-cut flavor of the early ones versus the machine-cut finish — my mostly-joking “notch shears” — of the later ones. Now I guess I’m going to have to start feeling around these things... ?

Best regards,

Steve

20 hours ago, AceAndrew said:

Note that the color change was done by the original owner back when these cars were worth peanuts.  I somehow doubt he foresaw the RISE OF BAIKAL!! (cue thematic music), or the rise of 02 values in general...

+1

And I believe the ‘80’s color change is responsible for the miserable painting we see under the hood (note the... distinctive texture of the left inner fender’s paint), much as an ‘80’s color change of my Inca ‘73 to Malaga was done with little regard for quality (and little or no surface prep)...

These cars were near the bottom of a value trough during those years and if you felt like changing the color because you were tired of the old color, well: Why Not?

(The inside of the trunk does not appear to have been done by the same painter or at the same time as the engine compartment. The prep work and execution are far superior to the engine compartment. I’d guess that trunk paint is ca. 2018, perhaps by the CoupeKing team: I’m noting the non-factory, but very slick, elephant skin applied to the trunk’s side panels.)

Best regards,

Steve

9D87A9EC-1430-4B8E-B5CA-123862B26974.png

206F45E2-1A86-4998-8BF9-62B7D5039998.jpeg

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1