• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ripped Off!

iinca

Last week while in for alignment my 73tii was pilfered for parts.

I dropped the car off late in the afternoon and told the shop owner I'd be back in the morning.

Some bad people got into their yard late that night and went to town on my precious Anna.

Parts taken:

Entire console including my US Blaupunkt AM/FM..

Original Black Coil

tii Exaust Heat Shield

Washer bottle and motor

4 brand new CV's NIB from La Jolla (in the trunk)

My original set of perfect  Control Arms (in the trunk)

Stock sway Bars/mounts (trunk)

Old suspension parts (trunk)

Response from the shop owner: Your outta luck 'cause we don't believe that all those parts were in the trunk.

Sue me

I'm still in shock. I wanted to box him out right there... but...

Some people SUCK and that wouldn't do me any good

I've got an extra washer bottle and I can do without a radio for awhile... but I'm desperately looking for another Black Coil to 

get back on the road.

Well given the businesses apathetic response to your problem in their yard.........I propose a BMW (along with BMW sympathizers) wide boycott of that named (???) Business..................Or if it's chain ask to speak with higher higher ..........I'll be first, your location says Santa Cruz i

I have never had any of my cars aligned and now I won't have any of my cars aligned in Santa Cruz

• Like 1

So:

1. The owner doesn't have video surveillance? 

2. We can't prove that all those parts were in the trunk? No problem. My next question is "who is the insurance carrier of your business? I would like to file a claim" 

3. Just so happens the place got raided when your car was there? Owner is apathetic= inside job. 

4. Time to file a report with the local law enforcement. 

5. Time to hit social media and let your your local buds know about this place. 

Hope all goes well with you. You deserve better than this POS alignment shop and the owner's apathy. 

Edited by Vicleonardo1
  • Like 2

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

30 minutes ago, Vicleonardo1 said:

So:

1. The owner doesn't have video surveillance? 

2. We can't prove that all those parts were in the trunk? No problem. My next question is "who is the insurance carrier of your business? I would like to file a claim" 

3. Just so happens the place got raided when your car was there? Owner is apathetic= inside job. 

4. Time to file a report with the local law enforcement. 

5. Time to hit social media and let your your local buds know about this place. 

Hope all goes well with you. You deserve better than this POS alignment shop and the owner's apathy. 

Yes, yes and yes. Candidly, I would do everything that @Vicleonardo1 suggested. At the very least file a police report so it’s on record (if you have receipts of the items bring them with you) and contact the owner’s insurance company and file a claim. The owner has no right to say you’re out of luck like that. Did they take inventory of what was in the car? Can they prove you didn’t have that stuff in there? Is there anything posted on-site (at the shop). that says they are not liable for damage or stolen parts when the car is in their hands and/or on their property? Did they inform you that the car would be placed in their yard when it was not being worked on? Did they give you the option to say no or request that car be kept locked and inside? Sounds to me like this could very well be an “inside job”. Regardless, your scenario is exactly why companies have to have insurance. Don’t let this d-bag get away with this. Set an example now so this does not continue to happen (and you know it will as the prices of our cars continues to rise!). 

Above all... good luck! I hope you get every penny back from this guy and that he is held accountable for his irresponsible actions and ridiculous behavior. 

• Like 2

Sounds to me like the thieves have some knowledge about these weird 40 something year old cars... 

Was going to say that I'll keep an eye out at the Santa Cruz flea market, but now I see it happened in Tahoe.  Good luck

Edited by JohnS
  • Like 1

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

Spend a bit of time go online and gather information/prices and make a list of the cost of the the pilfered parts.  

File a police report (Cal or Neva side?) 

Get the name of the insurance carrier of the business. (If not check and see if the business is leasing the property if they are, then check the owner of property) 

File an insurance claim

Find out what security policies and procedures of the shop. Alarm system? Cameras? Rent a cop patrol?

No such? More ammo for you to get some justice. 

Let the owner know that your are strongly considering to sue him and/or take him to small claims. I will bet dollars to doughnuts his cavalier attitude will change very quickly. He may be a bit more cooporative in helping you out. If he is leasing the property let him know you are planning to contact the owner. 

Keep up the fight. 

• Like 2

If it'll help I have a nice stock front swaybar that you're welcome to...reimburse me for postage from OH and it's yours.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Yes, 

Don't Boycott Santa Cruz. Spent way too much time there when I was a Santa Clara University Bronco....would have had much better grades, but my time there was worth my absence on the Dean's List and my presence on the "Double Secret Probation" list. 

• Like 2

I'm cleaning my 12 gauge shotgun as we speak. Nice pump action...I'll take out the owner first..then the lead mechanic and then the 2 Jr. Mechanics. I'll be in and out in less than 2 minutes. You should be seeing me on Dateline talking to Keith Morrison from jail some time soon...

I'm ok on the sway bar for now. I've got Ireland's on there now but someday I'll need sway bars if I sell it. I appreciate that offer Mike

What I really need now is a Black Coil..I'm am dead in the water without it. I've searched FAR and WIDE nada'.

Edited by iinca