• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No engine VIN

I’ve read everything I can find on this topic but I’m still unclear what it means that my engine has no VIN. I was told by PO when I bought the car about a year ago that it had the original engine. It’s a ‘76. I know I should have checked...  Thoughts?  Is there another place to look for VIN?

7B49E2B2-456F-415C-BADE-7417F4A24A32.thumb.jpeg.8b453d1ce5f31c4181f3ebfdfb880a96.jpeg

• Like 1

It is likely a factory replacement which I believe were identified with an X at each end of the boss as opposed to a + for factory original blocks.

There are casting markings on the intake side of the block that will indicate the date it was cast.

21 hours ago, E60coyote said:

Thanks. Looks like ‘84. The head is stamped with E21 75 so that is likely original but the block apparently is not. What does factory replacement mean? 

280CD55E-2794-490D-8D18-25038CD08E81.jpeg

Yep, if that’s a “1K” in the oval frame, the block was cast October 1, 1984. The letter “I” was not used to represent months because of its resemblance to the number “1”, leaving “K” as representing the tenth month.

The other place the factory sometimes stamped their remanufactured engines and blocks is on the narrow ledge at the top rear of the block. Below is a photo of one such engine.

The factory made no efforts whatsoever to keep heads and blocks together after they arrived as cores. Rather, it appears that many factory-remanufactured engines were outfitted with new heads. Since aluminum heads have always been prone to cracking, corrosion, thread damage, warping, etc., I suspect — but have no proof to confirm — that it was often easier to simply drop on a new head.

In the instance of your car, assuming you’ve got an E21 2,0 head, with month and year date — count the nubs surrounding the “75” — on or just before the car’s manufacturing date, the owner purchased a remanufactured short block and retained the original head. The second photo shows the original E21 2,0 head, cast April 1976, from my April 23, 1976 ‘02.

Regards,

Steve

AA04939F-D54F-45F6-8DF1-6816B857214D.jpeg

7703451E-B625-45A4-AAF6-516AC42A2466.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

from the original picture, it appears as if the original number was machined off, as the freshly machined area appears to be smaller than the original machined boss that held the motor number, and slightly lower, as if something had been ground off with a milling machine.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

10 hours ago, mike said:

from the original picture, it appears as if the original number was machined off, as the freshly machined area appears to be smaller than the original machined boss that held the motor number, and slightly lower, as if something had been ground off with a milling machine.

mike

yes, by the factory and you can see the two X stamped at either end under the grime. When you bought a remanufactured engine from BMW it was just that, and was on an exchange basis, so your old engine went back into the mix, had the number ground off and was rebuilt for the next customer.

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg