• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shift linkage does not align with IE kit!

sam1904

Hey all,

Have a 76' with original 4 speed and a very sloppy shift.

Bought the IE refresh kit for 'Late cars' and a IE short shift lever.

When I finally got under there the actual linkage is the same as in the Haynes and completely different to that shown in the IE kit.

Am I correct that the IE kit is worthless for this linkage and I should have paid more attention to how the old one came apart and where all the little parts went?

Pics of my car, Haynes lay out and IE view of the World below.

What would you next step be?

Inst.JPG

IE.JPG

h2.jpg

h1.jpg

c2.jpg

c1.jpg

2022 Defender 110 30th Edition

1976 BMW 2002 - Evolving...

Looks like what you have for a linkage is from an early model 02. They are different from later model linkages. It happens that they show up on later model cars. 

Factory pic shows late model style, haynes manual shows early.

The IE kit you ordered for your 76 is correct by model year. Next step?

Either obtain a late model shift assembly or possibly return shift kit and exchange for an early style kit.

Judging from all the gunk, changing the shift rod seal would be a good idea and clean that mess up so you can see what's going on.

Mikey,  76 in Granatrot

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

Out of curiosity when they show up is it that a PO changed it or BMW randomly built them? (this is a late 76'!)

I am assume you mean these two items. I also assume that the short shift lever drops in on the pin and doesn't require any additional bushings?

Here we go again, waiting on the IE shipping date random number generator :)

Thanks!

Sam

t1.JPG

t2.JPG

2022 Defender 110 30th Edition

1976 BMW 2002 - Evolving...

With that early linkage, your shift lever is also going to be early-style and will not fit with the late model linkage (the bottom width is thinner).  This means you will need a late model lever as well.

This linkage was never installed by BMW in '76.  The PO changed the transmission and linkage/lever to an early one (not for any design advantage, the original trans probably kicked the bucket and he had an early one laying around).  In this case you should be irritated with the PO, not IE.

As Mikey said, changing out out the transmission's selector shaft seal is probably also a good idea.

Not random but don't know exactly when the change took place.If you purchased a short shift lever from IE along with your refresh kit, then all you really need now to make it work is a late model shift selector rod or the short shift link (Dual shear) from IE

IE talks about this in some detail in the description for the for the Dual shear selector rod.

You will get it sorted and will be amazed at the difference!

http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/item/2002dssr163.html

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

19 minutes ago, tech71 said:

Not random but don't know exactly when the change took place.If you purchased a short shift lever from IE along with your refresh kit, then all you really need now to make it work is a late model shift selector rod or the short shift link (Dual shear) from IE

IE talks about this in some detail in the description for the for the Dual shear selector rod.

You will get it sorted and will be amazed at the difference!

http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/item/2002dssr163.html

Last year for the early style shifter was 1973.  74 and later used the "late" style.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Good thread on the topic from Jim Gerock way back when:  

You can retrofit the bottom section of your old style shift lever with the newer style lower parts.  I just rebuilt a lever from a '76, but the idea is the same for an older style shift lever.  The upper threaded piece where the knob attaches are the same.  Also note that I've found that the common "short shift BMW Z3 lever" is a little wide to fit in the IE dual shear thingy, you would probably have to sand down the sides of the bushing a little to get a nice tight fit.  Stock lever fits fine.  Good luck

Lever1.JPG

Lever2.JPG

Lever3.JPG

Lever4.JPG

Lever5.JPG

Lever6.JPG

Lever7.JPG

Edited by JohnS

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️