• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ansa exhaust help

viali8

Good evening,

I just purchased a 1976 2002 and I am having issues with Ansa sport muffler.  The muffler is violently banging into the spare tire well at certain rpm's.

I know that the muffler is the BW 0227 rear center exit...which is not a perfect fit for my car.  They don't make the BW 0267 anymore.

What did you guys do to prevent the muffler from banging into the spare tire well?  

Thanks!

Matt

Yes, They are new.  I guess I should check them out again and see if they need tightening.  There definitely is a lot of movement in the exhaust in where the rear muffler is.  I did check the exhaust toward the the front.  All looks good.  Did anyone fab up a bracket for this?  Did it work?

Edited by viali8

Do the two rubber muffler hangers on your Ansa have the plastic inserts that clip into the hangers to prevent the metal hangers from cutting through the rubber hangers?  Those inserts also spread the rubber hangers and eliminate quite a bit of muffler movement.  Also check to see if the exhaust bracket that fastens to the rear of the tranny is inplace with its rubber mounts and pipe clamp, and that the clamp between the center pipe/muffler and the rear muffler are tight.  All those can conspire to cause the muffler to hit the bodywork--the fit is very tight, so good clamps and proper adjustment is important.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

10 hours ago, mike said:

Do the two rubber muffler hangers on your Ansa have the plastic inserts that clip into the hangers to prevent the metal hangers from cutting through the rubber hangers?  Those inserts also spread the rubber hangers and eliminate quite a bit of muffler movement.  Also check to see if the exhaust bracket that fastens to the rear of the tranny is inplace with its rubber mounts and pipe clamp, and that the clamp between the center pipe/muffler and the rear muffler are tight.  All those can conspire to cause the muffler to hit the bodywork--the fit is very tight, so good clamps and proper adjustment is important.

mike

Mike,

I do not have the plastic inserts that go into the rubber hangers.  I do have the bracket that attaches to the rear of the tranny.  haven't checked if it has the rubber mounts.  Thanks for the tips.  This gives me something to start with.

Matt