• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Registering a 1973 tii in California

Djthom

1 hour ago, Djthom said:

Thanks guys.  Car has VIN stamp, under hood VIN plate and steering column VIN plate.  Also numbers matching so engine stamping too

That will work.  I also used AAA and they were great.  they just need to see those vin numbers you describe above to make sure it matches the title.  Mine is a 73 with a weber carburetor that wouldn't have passed smog inspection and test if it wasn't exempt by the year i bought it, 2018.

5 hours ago, roberttran said:

My understanding is as of late 2018, it's suggested because that sticker is the one that verifies the car is US spec. Check out the newest version of the VIN verification form from CA DMV 

You can still get it registered without it but requires CHP VIN verification via 2 places (engine bay and steering column). 

Having the door sticker is not required but makes it easier. 

Wow, they did recently change the form.  My neighbor is a local police officer and has signed all of my verifications.

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

26 minutes ago, HBChris said:

Wow, they did recently change the form.  My neighbor is a local police officer and has signed all of my verifications.

I got my VIN number at the ATM machine after entering my PIN number.

?

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

I just went to CHP for Vin verification a few weeks ago on a motorcycle, They  said get in line , Maybe a month and a half. So I made appt. at DMV. Lady didn't know Sh&* about bikes, Wasn't going to give me a title cause I didn't have CARB sticker, I told here I don't need no stinking sticker cause bike had more than 7,000 miles, She goes and talks to supervisor and comes out and says your right. Got my title. Just saying if you go into DMV better know the rules