• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint or underseal in wheel wells ... or both?

zambo

I’m sure this has been covered of elsewhere because I’m pretty certain I’ve come across it some time back.

If I recall correctly, the body colour was typically used though some often put additional material on, often in the form of the black spray-on underbody seal.

I think this is what they might have done with mine. It seems to have done its job as it’s clean-as under there - grime aside.

bcf346be64d69c9fe28180dabc8cb248.jpg

acf7db47390878d43e440c2e893a654f.jpg

I thought I’d just wire brush that off and then hit it up with some colour matched epoxy. What have others done?

I’m going the epoxy route based on an Esty suggestion in another thread. I think a hard paint that’s a close-as match in that exposed location will be the go.

Depending where you live, you may want to make sure that as long as it’s sound and no rust underneath, that you coat it with something like Bilt Hamber, it’s a very dark high performance anti corrosion wax for car underbodies. Really good product, highly tested and well regarded.

i live close to the ocean and it’s working on my car, just a thought.

• Like 1

Depending where you live, you may want to make sure that as long as it’s sound and no rust underneath, that you coat it with something like Bilt Hamber, it’s a very dark high performance anti corrosion wax for car underbodies. Really good product, highly tested and well regarded.
i live close to the ocean and it’s working on my car, just a thought.

Thanks SydneyTii. I live in Brisbane so not as salty as being right next to the sea.

I see Bilt Hamber also make a cavity product. Is it something like Tectyl I wonder?

I have used both the cavity and UB, it is very easy to apply and stays on.

I coated some steel 2 years ago and it’s been out in all weathers, hasn’t changed at all.

i believe it’s far superior to Tectyl, PPC Sell it, they are in warriewood, Sydney.

Barney is correct.  If you 're going for an authentic from-the-factory restoration or refurbishment, the wheel wells were painted body color over the schutz that was liberally applied to the car's nethermost regions.  The body color, however, didn't extend to the underside of the car except as overspray.  The floor underside was mostly primer grey with some schutz, but not to the extent of the wheel wells.

mike

• Like 4

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite