• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Solex PHH 40 vintage photo

Thank you for the contact info for Norbert Wipfler. Apparently it's not certain that he is still doing them but I am going to try and get in touch.

I was trying to avoid sending them to Europe, but if it's true that Bob's is out of business, it seems I will be lucky to find anyone, anywhere who can do them.

I tried to get sources from the Porsche/VW world, but no luck:

356carburetorrescue.com-- don't work on them, don't know anyone who does

CFI-auto.com-- don't work on them

Joe Ruiz (VW guy)-- doesn't work on them

Apple Hydraulics in NY-- don't work on them

• Sad 1

There is still another site online from Uwe Gehlken trading as "gibgas-vergasertechnik.net" that has lots of solex's and explicitly claims to rebuild and modify the phh variant found on the 1600ti and 2002ti. No experience with them as I'm not ever intending to restore mine.

Regards,

Andrew

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight 

Jonny at Autosport Seattle used to rebush/re-shaft all sorts of carbs- 

Might also ask Herb and Wes at 

WESINGRAM.COM

We strive to maximize all performance areas for our 750, 101, 105, 115 and Montreal Alfa Romeos, including gas mileage, smooth idle, drivability and reduced emissions. There are three different types of induction systems possible. For 115 Alfas, our fully restored pumps and systems with...

as they've worn out all sorts of things.

t

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Wes Ingram is a good call I think, he no doubt rebuilds Alfa TB's and once upon a time I want to say he was doing Tii TB rebuilds with the option of a larger throttle plate.  I know Terry Tinney also has done work on Porsche 912 solex carbs (throttle shafts).  Not a hugely difficult task for a good machinist.

It didn't occur to me to check with Autosport.  I've had a few heads done there over the years, but when I tried to contact them the last time I needed machine work, maybe 5 or 6 years ago, I couldn't find them.  It looks like they are alive and well though.  No longer in SLU.  It would be great if they would be willing to get setup to do phh throttle shafts.  Same with Terry Tinney, but man that guy is busy.

1971 2002ti

Autosport moved a while ago, their new location is just NW of the Ballard bridge.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944