• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Correct Ballast Resistor

2002#3

I need some schooling on ballast resistors for 2002's.  Please.

I need the correct ballast resistor to complete my 123 Ignition+ / Bosch Red coil / 1.8 ohm ballast resistor combo.  The closest resistor I can find is Bosch 0 277 901 014.  A couple of FAQers have mentioned in posts that is the correct number for the red coil.  However,

(1) I cannot find a 1.8 resistor listed specifically for a 2002,

(2) most 1.8 resistors I find are for Mercedes Benz, Volvo, etc., and

(3) Bosch 1.8 resistors have the snazzy red band with Bosch and 0 277 901 014 stamped into them; however, they have different black-stamped numbers on the ceramic bar, e.g., 04 657, 287, and 014 559.

Q:  What do the black-stamped numbers mean?  Do they mean all Bosch 1.8 ballast resistors not the same? 

Q:  Can you give me a source for the correct 1.8 for my situation ('75 block, '83 E12 head)?  

Q:  Use any 1.8?

Photo is an example of what I find for 0 277 901 014 (this one is for MB).   

Thanks.

Edited by 2002#3
Spelling Error

The pic is the one you need, the red coil specifies 1.8 ohms, that is the one (same part number, found it at AutohouseAZ) I used on my 69.

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

Larry, remember electricity doesn't care whether it's specified for a M-B, BMW, Porsche etc; 1.8 ohms is still 1.8 ohms,   The one you pictured even looks like the resistor that originally came on the car (other than the red anodized bracket).

Is this for your new project or the tii?

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thanks, Mike and HB, for the votes of confidence

Yes, Mike, It is for the '70 project.  It is not for my tii.  If it works in the ti "tribute", I might install one into the tii.  "Might" is the operative word b/c the tii is currently humming like a mutha.

The dist (? history) keeps weeping.  No fix in sight.  So, I am going whole-hog to a 123-red-1.8 combo.  I was told by an expert mechanic "not all similar-ohm resistors are the same" and to "just make sure the resistor is the correct one for your car".  I always thought 1.8 ohms = 1.8 ohms, too, so, am going with that philosophy. 

Q:  Anyone think a good starting advance curve for a virgin 123 would be a tii or a ti curve?  Two side draft Solexes, if it matters.

Q:  I am planning to do a direct drop-in replacement of the dist, coil, and resistor - same locations, same wiring (following 123 manual), etc.  Sound reasonable?

Flying to Biloxi/Gulfport, MS, today.  Any '02's there?

Larry

If possible, can you edit the spelling to "ballast" in your title?  It will make it easier for others to find this thread using Search.  Thanks!

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

• 2 months later...

I am resurecting this thread as I want to get a spare Ballast Resistor for my 1969 1600-02 before a road trip.  The one on my car now only has '209' stamped on it and has two terminals-one on each end......can I get one of these red bracket Mercedes ones at 1.8ohms to use as a spare (just in case?)...any guidance is appreciated.  

I would get a blue coil to eliminate the BR however I just installed a brand new, normal silver coil so I do not want to spend the money again on a blue one......a Ballast Resistor is $22.00 usually so that is ok and its a spare.....Thank you.

IMG_1894.jpeg

IMG_1892.jpeg

IMG_4705.JPG

Edited by JWT

1 hour ago, HBChris said:

The label on the silver coil will tell you you need the 1.8, using the original 1.1 will shorten the life of your points.

Ahh, did not even think of that....so the original Ballast on there is 1.1?  I was looking for markings but found none.  I will go have a look at that label on the coil.  I was searching my parts books trying to figure out what that Ballast was on the car now but could not find anything mentioned...thank you.

Edited by JWT