• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel level sender won't fit?

jimbojames

EFI conversion... I purchased what was supposedly a 318i replacement fuel pump on eBay and I can't seem to fit my level sending unit onto it. It lines up 95% of the way but I don't want to force too hard it since the sending units are expensive and seem a little fragile. It seems like the hole tolerances are just crappy. Any suggestions? Maybe I'm doing something stupid?

fuelpumpandsender.jpg

Follow my '71 restoration @roundie02

You don't have a 318i pump because it doesn't have a fuel return nozzle.  There are 3 pumps that look alike if you are not familiar with them.  A 325i low pressure pump, a 325is/ix pump and the 318i pump.  The 318i and 325i low pressure pumps have a return nozzle. The other 325 systems return fuel directly to the tank, 

So you might have a 318i level sensor.  The 325i pumps have level sensors that do interchange between the two pumps.  The 315i low pressure pump motor is only about 4 inches long and is plastic covered housing, the high pressure pump has a motor that is about 4.75 inches long and is metal housed.

Edited by jimk

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

That is hugely helpful, thank you; I wondered why there was no return. Based on your description, it sounds like I have the high-pressure pump since it has the metal housing. Here's two additional pictures. Unfortunately, that must mean my sender is not compatible :(

IMG_1747.jpg

IMG_1748.jpg

Follow my '71 restoration @roundie02

A high pressure pump is needed for a 3 bar fuel pressure system.

Early EFI pumps grew out of the concept used on the TII (2bar), and when the E30s appeared (non IS models) they used a low pressure in-tank pump plus a second inline pump to reach 3 bar pressure.  Maybe evolution of pumps hadn't reached a single 3 bar pump at that time

Later systems use a single high pressure 3 bar pump that was the norm up until direct injection systems (except for the GM throttle bodies that operated at 13 psig).

The 318is pump with a return connection is your best choice even if the tank is the later one with the small return nipple.  That nozzle doesn't meet proper design for the internal tube for anti-splash return.  The 318is pump has that feature built into the pump assembly where it returns the fuel at the suction screen level on the pump.  Without the anti-splash feature in the fuel return, a static charge can develop with unintended results.

If you intend to use the pump in hand, I can come up with a level sensor for it.  I have 3 pumps in the basement that i have no use for the sensors.  Drop me a pm if interested.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.