• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Origin of Colors: Fact or Fiction?

17 minutes ago, 02Les said:

Now I know why she wanted a "Mecedes Benz"?

Her estate was very happy that she did not, that paint job netted the estate 1.7 million at auction a few years back....go figure

Edited by joysterm
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Rich said:

does everyone remember Colonel Klink on Hogans Heros ? " Very interesting, but stupid " ?

Since we're slightly off topic, I remember this as Artie Shaw on "Laugh-in". Am I disremembering. {Don't tell Trump.}

Edited by GoGo Garnet
  • Like 2

1976 02 in Granatrot Met. m42, 5sp. - Greta

22 hours ago, jgerock said:

I didn't realize Honda offered bright colors. I've been buying Hondas for many years and shy away from them if they don't offer good color options.  The Fit is a very popular model ?.

Been offering bright colors for some time.  This is my son's 01 S2000...Indy Yellow Pearl.  You can't see pearl unless it's in the sun.

IMG_20190723_183948066_HDR.jpg

arte.jpg

• Like 1

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

On 7/30/2019 at 2:12 PM, joysterm said:

Her estate was very happy that she did not, that paint job netted the estate 1.7 million at auction a few years back....go figure

The collector that bought it lives by me. The car is pretty cool in person.  It was purchased as a Birthday or a Christmas present,,  because they can.  ?

9 hours ago, joebarthlow said:

If some guy told me it was for tax breaks, i'd spit my coffee laughing. 

If you'd been there you might have believed him.  Germans...Safety...Autobahn...He was quite convincing.  Hence this posting.  I was hoping for an elder German FAQ member to debunk or verify this statement.

A myth professed to be fact.

I will say that owning a car in "safety orange" has never kept other vehicles from attempting to hit me.  I'm a magnet for bad drivers.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Safety colors. No. I have come very close to being hit in bright red cars and even in a Golf 2002. If you're not looking, you won't see the brightest car anyhow.

Photo below shows me before I was old enough to drive dad's pride and joy, but hey....later on I drove it with great gusto.

265853_1446338616085_5517934_o.jpg

• Like 2

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Paul,

I too, know about the safety colors and the insurance discount that was associated. At least that is what I was told from an old-timer friend who lives in the Fatherland!

Bob

• Thanks 1

71 2002

85 M635

89 327is

98 M3

4 minutes ago, bob02 said:

I too, know about the safety colors and the insurance discount that was associated. At least that is what I was told from an old-timer friend who lives in the Fatherland!

Really!  Insurance discount!  There may be some truth after all.  Take that you naysayers! :P

Thank you, Bob.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

6 minutes ago, bob02 said:

Paul,

Bob

Ahh insurance discount is a bit different to a tax deduction. Even now your insurance company actuary will be using the colour of your car to try and understand if you are a greater or lesser risk. 

https://www.monash.edu/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/216475/An-investigation-into-the-relationship-between-vehicle-colour-and-crash-risk.pdf

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC300804/

• Like 1

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/