• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Upgraded LED tail lights/ now turn signal issue

ezlnh8u

Hello, I upgraded my square tail with some bluntech LED kits, everything works from brake lights to driving lights, except my turn signals, the turn signals worked properly with my old bulb set up. The led set up is pretty straight forward. Everything plugs in to the oem light pigtail.

Any suggestions on what might be the issue? I tested the led turn signal side for power and they are getting sufficient voltage to that section.

Using Tapatalk

Could be inadequate load. LED's often dont draw enough current to make the turn signal relay actually click on and off.

Could rig something where you take the power wire run it through an old school bulb and then into the led turn signal. If everything starts working it proves that the turn signal relay needs more load. They make resistor boxes for LED's to add more load.

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

I have one of those flashers, I converted to them last year, it so strange, I move the flasher relay a certain way, pressed against the back magnet of my speaker and they start to work. As soon as I let it go, it stops.

Using Tapatalk

On 8/1/2019 at 11:43 AM, Stevenc22 said:

Could be inadequate load. LED's often dont draw enough current to make the turn signal relay actually click on and off.

The kit Blunt sell is from Classic Auto LEDs and has circuit boards on each side with the correct circuitry for direct plug in.

Suggest the OP check the wiring connections.  Mine never had a problem.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

I upgraded to an electronic flasher, a while back. I was running led bulbs on the rear, and everything worked fine, now with the new led bluntech kits, the rear signals only work when the flash unit touches a magnet, I tried a new flasher and the same results.

Using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, ezlnh8u said:

I upgraded to an electronic flasher, a while back. I was running led bulbs on the rear, and everything worked fine, now with the new led bluntech kits, the rear signals only work when the flash unit touches a magnet, I tried a new flasher and the same results.

That is truly strange. Do the hazard flashers work correctly ?  

I had a similar situation with my '74.  Following suggestions by Paul Winterton, JP5Touring, and SpuriousSpeedo, I replaced the flasher relay with a Grote 44890 (Equivalent to NAPA EL-13L1 or to CEC EF-33RL).  It has a fourth (pigtail) contact compared to EL-13, which connects to ground.  This flasher relay does not seem to care what kind of bulbs are attached, it just works.  See my June 18 post under "Signal flasher upgrade easy to do & what a difference" at the link below.  P.S.  The BluntTech / Classic Auto LED arrays are GREAT!

• Like 1

John McConaghy

1974 2002tii Verona 2780988

1972 2002tii Chamonix 2761282 (wish I'd never sold)

Freude am Fahren