• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Piston Slap?

Inka’d02

4 hours ago, allen said:

Mine starts 1 minute after starting the car, when it’s cold and revs are low but if I keep the revs above 1000 it disappears and once it’s warms up it’s gone all together…2 weeks ago I did the timing chain/oil pump and chain…checked all the bearings and everything looked good…it’s got me stumped 

Did you make sure you got the correct oil pump chain? The wider m3 one fits but is loose.

So yesterday I pulled the sump and found a lot of end play in the crankshaft…then I pull the thrust bearing out and saw this…one side of the bearing looks worn but the other side is ok…but what’s puzzling is the inside of the bearings looks ok !

how does this happen 

IMG_1863.jpeg

Edited by allen

When you depress the clutch pedal, the force the throw out bearing puts on the  pressure plate is also on the rear of the thrust bearing.  Without the thrust bearing, the crankshaft would be pushed out the engine front.  So the rear side of the bearing has the wear.  Avoid sitting at a stop light with the clutch depressed!

• Like 2

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

13 hours ago, allen said:

So yesterday I pulled the sump and found a lot of end play in the crankshaft…then I pull the thrust bearing out and saw this…one side of the bearing looks worn but the other side is ok…but what’s puzzling is the inside of the bearings looks ok !

how does this happen 

IMG_1863.jpeg

I'm going to guess manufacturer defect.

• Like 1