• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tell me this is incorrect .

jp5Touring

So I've been chasing the infamous gas in trunk smell.  I replaced both O-Rings and the fuel lines in the trunk.

I also found no check valve but just a coupler that was 3/8 but should of been 5/16 to 3/8.  I thought for sure that was the source. Corrected that with a check valve.

But still no luck. Only thing left besides the tank was the fuel filler rubber pipe and gasket.  The rubber pipe had a few very small hairline cracks, so maybe I thought.

I went to take the rubber neck off and notice the gasket was on the body NOT sandwich between the metal flange as shown on RealOEM.

I did order a new rubber filler pipe and gasket. I'm thinking this was installed incorrectly, see pic.

If someone can confirm what order the gasket goes I would appreciate it.  I think (HOPE) it's incorrect and this being my source of the smell.

IMG_3076.thumb.JPG.5c09ce7f84bbee1ee8f13abc2f8444cd.JPG

RealOEM diagram link

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=2583-USA-05-1973-114-BMW-2002tii&diagId=16_0384

Gasket is #11 and should be between the two metal rings.  Yes ?

I believe you are correct as I think I remember doing it that way. I doubt it's the source of your smell however.

Fill the tank and drive around. Pop your trunk and look for gas. (Remove your trunk boards for easy spotting)

Park on different slopes to see if you can cause leaks. Mine leak/smells came from 3 different sources. One, gas tank leaks around the seams. Two, overfilling leaks trickling down the filler neck. Three, fuel pump not ratcheted down all the way. 

The tank leak was the hardest to fix, but so far, so good.

• Like 1

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

Thanks Nick,  There  is never any fuel spill just the odor  and I check it all the time. The smell is in the far right back corner I'm pretty sure.  I'm okay if I have to pull the tank I just want to wait till winter since in Michigan.  

I put some fuel resistance rtv on it since new parts won't be here till next week.  I think its better, but it might be me just hoping.

Maybe sprinkle a bunch of flour all around the edge of the tank.  If the seam has failed, it might not be enough to be a full leak, but would be enough to stink.  A little bit of gas goes a long way as far as the sniffer goes.  If all the flour stays dry, just vacuum it up and check the seam off the list.

Edited by 2002Targa
  • Like 1

Life's a garden baby, dig it.

My web album

75 Fjord

73 RHD Targa

1 minute ago, 2002Targa said:

Maybe sprinkle a bunch of flour all around the edge of the tank.  If the seam has failed, it might not be enough to notice a full leak, but would be enough to stink

Yes, I had to fix the seam on my tank.

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

48 minutes ago, jp5Touring said:

Couple more beers you may be able to use it on yourself! ?

Good idea though, also looks like a bit of rust under the paint on the tank mounting flanges.

I need to replace the return line fuel hose from the plastic tube to the tank on my Tii, I realised it was looking a bit dark, when I investigated further I noticed it’s all cracked under the cloth out skin.

Edited by SydneyTii
  • Like 1

If you still have the cloth covered hose connecting the tank's outlet pipe to the plastic fuel line, remove, throw in neighbor's pool (don't lose the plastic ferrule on the tank nipple) and replace with some US style rubber fuel hose.  That now 40+ year old cloth covered hose cracks under the cloth, and will seep gas--enough to smell but not enough to see.

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

19 minutes ago, Chris_B said:

You may want to think about whether the odor is coming from exhaust fumes, which after entering the trunk smell very similar to gas fumes. Check your trunk (boot) gasket for integrity.

For sure its fuel I can go to the garage in the morning and pop the trunk and smell it. Thanks though

14 minutes ago, mike said:

If you still have the cloth covered hose connecting the tank's outlet pipe to the plastic fuel line, remove, throw in neighbor's pool (don't lose the plastic ferrule on the tank nipple) and replace with some US style rubber fuel hose.  That now 40+ year old cloth covered hose cracks under the cloth, and will seep gas--enough to smell but not enough to see.

mike

First thing I replaced,  all the fuel lines have been updated. Thanks Mike

I thought about a smoke test, with a really really long hose to check it with. ?

It's not leaking any fuel but smells bad enough that you don't want to put luggage or anything nice in the trunk.

1 hour ago, jp5Touring said:

For sure its fuel I can go to the garage in the morning and pop the trunk and smell it. Thanks though 

OK. Well, the trunk will hold the smell of exhaust fumes long after the car has been driven (like days...).

• Like 1

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

13 hours ago, jp5Touring said:

I have been chasing that smell for years.  Not a raw gas smell. Not exhaust fumes. Just the odor of old fuel.  I have replaced EVERYTHING except the gas tank and filler neck gasket.  I replaced the filler neck gasket of few years ago.  I guess it's possible I have a leak in the tank seam, but it would have to be minute.

New theory: when I gas up I get a sucking sound at the gas cap, when removing it.  Shouldn't the venting to the air cleaner (tii) eliminate pressure in the tank?  If there is pressure (expansion) in the tank while sitting, wouldn't it try to find the easiest route to escape ie. filler neck gasket?  Hence the odor-of-fuel passing through the gasket.

One new clue: today my car is in the garage with 1/8th of a tank of gas.  No smell in the trunk.  A VERY rare occasion of no smell, and low fuel.  Unfortunately, I may be seeing the answer...a hole in the seam of the tank.  Crap!  Or not enough pressure to force the smell of fuel through the filler neck.  Hopefully the later.

Edited by PaulTWinterton
  • Like 1

73 Inka Tii #2762958

My tank only leaked when ultra full or when parked on a slope with the passenger side higher than the drivers side. Front left corner seam of the tank was the culprit. Since this was my SECOND tank after discovering my original tank was beyond repair, I went with Red Kote tank sealer. So far, no leaks, no smell.

• Like 2

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS