• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spontaneously imploding rear glass

achman

Anyone ever had this happen? Was totally fine last night, today I go out to the garage to get something and see this--nothing fell on it.

Car hasn't been driven since Vintage.

I'm assuming original glass and heat caused it to happen.

Anything I should know about replacing it? I once had to get a windshield replaced in a Porsche 914 and that was a complete debacle.

IMG_20190802_1839268.jpg

IMG_20190802_1840471.jpg

• Sad 1

1973 2002Tii Agave "Gerta"-----1972 2002Tii Verona project-----------2003 Porsche 911 X51-------2016 FIAT Abarth--------2003 Porsche Boxster----------2005 Honda Element

Lucky you--your comprehensive insurance will now buy you a nice new heated back window with a functioning defroster grid!  Leave it to the pros to install a new one--and use a factory rubber gasket if a new one is needed...

The same thing happened to the driver's window on my '73 while sitting in the driveway.  No evidence of a thrown rock, BB or anything else--it was in the shade, so not excessive heat, and it happened in the time it took me to walk to and from my mailbox--perhaps 200 feet tops.  Most of the glass fragments landed outside the car, not inside as would happen if it were a projectile, bird, etc.  

Tempered glass is funny stuff.  It just does that.  My uncle went through three back windows on his then new 52 Buick within 3-4 months--glass blew outward (like yours) while sitting in his driveway.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Saw that happen to a Touring windshield a few years ago, it was fine in the evening and had shattered overnight.  

Pretty sure 2002 sedan rear glass is relatively easy to find.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

15 hours ago, mike said:

Lucky you--your comprehensive insurance will now buy you a nice new heated back window with a functioning defroster grid!  Leave it to the pros to install a new one--and use a factory rubber gasket if a new one is needed...

The same thing happened to the driver's window on my '73 while sitting in the driveway.  No evidence of a thrown rock, BB or anything else--it was in the shade, so not excessive heat, and it happened in the time it took me to walk to and from my mailbox--perhaps 200 feet tops.  Most of the glass fragments landed outside the car, not inside as would happen if it were a projectile, bird, etc.  

Tempered glass is funny stuff.  It just does that.  My uncle went through three back windows on his then new 52 Buick within 3-4 months--glass blew outward (like yours) while sitting in his driveway.

mike

Thanks Mike

My defroster was still working!

Already called around, they'll have to order it

and there is no way I am putting it in myself

1973 2002Tii Agave "Gerta"-----1972 2002Tii Verona project-----------2003 Porsche 911 X51-------2016 FIAT Abarth--------2003 Porsche Boxster----------2005 Honda Element

My guess is it was caused by the fact that our cars create a nice air-tight seal when you close your doors. That, combined with a hot and humid day = recipe for disaster! [emoji12]

All kidding aside, I’m sorry for your troubles. You should have no problem finding a replacement window but it definitely sucks having to deal with that.

I spent a year in Alabama and I must have seen a dozen windows blow out on hot and humid days. The locals used to tell me “make sure you crack your windows!”. I quickly learned why they were so adamant about that!

12 hours ago, achman said:

Thanks Mike

My defroster was still working!

Already called around, they'll have to order it

and there is no way I am putting it in myself

Hi,

Putting it in isn't really that bad.  My mistake was in not using Windex to lube the snot out of the gasket.  Then it all went pretty uneventfully.  Point to note - this was the first one I'd ever done and my helper was equally inexperienced (my son).

Dishes soap and a little water, here.  45 minute job at most, 30 with help.

I like the heat explanation, as it's very uncommon around here.

Glass has a LOT of internal stresses in it, and oddly, in its natural

state also behaves like a liquid.  

Perhaps we haven't quite tamed it...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL