• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Car shows and how to

Flamingo 5

9 hours ago, West Palm 2002 said:

Here’s a question: is it better to use the original hub caps which have worn center

emblems or replace the emblems with 

now available new emblems?

what do the judges prefer perfect or original?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

If you are entering the super clean class I would make the car look as good as possible.  I would go with the new emblems.  I  participated in the super clean class at last years Oktoberfest.  If you want to know more details PM me and I can go over the class in more detail.

Mike

1974 2002tii Restored (Original Owner) #2782393
2013 Porsche C4S Cab (Original Owner)
BMW CCA #23777

From my experience, judges prefer consistency of presentation and the story behind the car that supports it. If there is no preservation class, an original, unmolested car with patina may do just as well as a nut and bolt full restoration. But it’s hard for the judges to ignore the as-new or better than factory shine of a correct restoration. If your car already has new replacement parts and trim pieces polished up, you’re probably best to continue with that theme and replace your wheel centers. Otherwise they will look out of place and candidates for point deductions. 

Other than in Preservation Class, attention to detail like replacing the Roundels will always be better but you must remember, it’s cleanliness that counts. So clean, clean and clean some more!

In Preservation it’s cleanliness and originality.  It’s things like using aftermarket hose clamps, blue spark plug wires, a Weber carb instead of the original that will result in deductions.  Always use original replacement parts when possible.  We will use the ICJAG judging criteria at Legends, you can find it online, for Preservation only.  And for each area judged you can only be penalized a portion of the possible score, it’s still primarily cleanliness.

• Like 1

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix