• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

46 year old Rear Lap Belts

While I was pulling out the Recaros for their rebirth, I also pulled out the two rear lap belts to see if these can either be re-webbed or replaced.

My 02 is a '73, the rear belts are Autoflug two point lap belts with a spool.  The spool and latches work well.  My concern is 46 year old webbing.  While it would likely be once in an Atlantik Blue Moon that I would have a back seat occupant, I have an obligation to have belts in the back.

Thoughts about repair or replacement?  I figure with the paint and interior planned for the colder months, I should look into items that may need to be re-built.  I have new front belts from Maximillian.

Edited by David Layton
typo

Frau Blucher - 73 tii

Captain Biggles - 66 Triumph TR4a

2 hours ago, 02Les said:

Search for member BlueDevils and chat with him. He is the seat belt guru.

+1

bluedevils (al) can replace the webbing. Many of us use al regularly to overhaul and update original belts. Rear seat belts tend to have much less wear, of course, than front seat belts.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

3 minutes ago, SydneyTii said:

One thing I had to be careful of, was that they were approved for use in Aus, basically an Australian standard mark, I always thought that was an oxymoron though?

A fine example of protectionism. Don’t get me started ?

• Like 1

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

I just use seat belt webbing and a sewing machine. 

At the point where a lap belt fails, you're in so much hurt

anyways that the belt's pretty academic.

t

personal safety is not a concern.

• Like 2

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

They can be re-webbed but 90% of the time rear belts will just need a good cleaning as mentioned above, especially the retractor side since webbing is protected inside the plastic housing; use 50/50 mixture of Down and water and a clean towel. You can clean the female portions in a dish washer as well, make sure wife is not around...   When done, put a few drops of sewing machine oil on each side of the spool that holds the webbing inside the retractor. Re-webbing the retractor is a complex process, especially with old OE Autoflug and Repa retractors. I avoid doing that most of the time unless webbing is trashed, even made a few fellows angry when I refused to reweb the retractors since webbing was in like-new condition, needing only a good cleaning.

P.S. Australia used to make quality seat belts when Autoliv/Klippan had factories there before they pulled out of market, about 6 may be 8 years ago. I still have some of those NOS front and rear 3 point automatic Autoliv/Klippan sets if anybody is interested (these are the real ones, not US made versions manufactured by the seat-belt cartel?).  

• Like 2