• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help in Columbus OH

fastricky

Hi all, I've embarked on a semi tour with my '72tii after an engine rebuild and all has been going smoothly except now on my return leg to NY I'm semi stranded in Columbus as the car is very problematic to start. I need to crank it for 30 seconds or more and then if I'm lucky it will finally kick over but I need to keep my foot on the gas or it will die. On occasion it will stay running but the idle is off so I'll correct that and all seems ok. Until I kill the engine and try to restart it and this whole sequence of events happens all over again.

Any thoughts how I should proceed? Otherwise any suggestions on a local shop I might stop by or call?

Edited by fastricky

You guys know your business!

It was the cold start injector sending too much fuel. It was disconnected and all is now good, but where does one find a replacement?

And a massive ? to Tom Hatem, they are super busy but took the time to help me out at no charge no less. Sadly Tom passed recently due to Pancreatic Cancer, I donated in his honor to the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network at pancan.org

IMG_3266.jpg

• Like 7

RIP to Tom indeed.

In a related story... Awhile ago I reached out to member "2002#3" (Larry) to appreciate his gorgeous '74tii. We exchanged messages and he let me know to look him up if I was ever in Cincy. Well I was right before arriving in Columbus so we met for a two-man Cars and Coffee Meetup. Great guy, very enjoyable time, and super knowledgeable regarding 02s (he does all his own work). Larry was my first call when I ran into my issue and that too led me to Hatem... ??

IMG_0017.jpeg

IMG_0018.jpeg

Edited by fastricky
  • Thanks 1

Larry is pretty cool. I met him for the first time on the drive to Mid-America 2018. We had a fun time.  It would have been worth it for me to ditch work today had I known you were coming thru. It would have been nice to see both yours and Larry's Tii's.

• Thanks 1

(1973 Fjord Blue 037) Vin 2588314- Build date February 6th, 1973- delivered to Hoffman Motors NYC February 8th.

6 minutes ago, ingramlee said:

Larry is pretty cool. I met him for the first time on the drive to Mid-America 2018. We had a fun time.  It would have been worth it for me to ditch work today had I known you were coming thru. It would have been nice to see both yours and Larry's Tii's.

Noted! I'll be back this way and will reach out next time.

• Like 1

I had the privilege to know Tom Hattem back in the 80's and 90's.  I worked with Tom on a small Sports Car team for five years or so and had the honor to see him get married. He was a great person, smart and a helluva mechanic and a genuine good guy.

RIP