• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Windshield Polish? 47 Years of Road Debris

gregp553

My windshield is awful. 47 years of road debris makes it look like it was sandblasted. I've read old posts about cirium oxide and other attempts to clean the glass, but has anyone recently discovered a new product that you can use for a DIY fix? A new windshield is an option, but is that the best option? Anybody have success polishing a windshield? I used a flashlight to accent the flaws in the glass.

thumbnail_IMG_3452.jpg

72 Agave tii

2012 Space Grey 335i

76 Sienabraun - sold  95 M3 - sold  06 M Coupe - sold

Where's Alonzo?!

Barney is right.

Though there are ways to polish out the pits but it would take forever, with less than perfect results and likely cost more than a new windshield.

Cheers,

• Like 2

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

To "Remove" a pit, the pit isn't removed, but the area surrounding the pit is removed.  On glass if the surrounding area is not smooth, there would be a lot of localized distortion.  There isn't much hope in finding a method to make it happen.

+1  Buy new glass.

Edited by jimk

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

47 minutes ago, ray_ said:

Barney is right.

Though there are ways to polish out the pits but it would take forever, with less than perfect results and likely cost more than a new windshield.

Cheers,

OK. But now what do I do on a rainy Sunday? I thought the windshield would be a good project.

• Haha 1

72 Agave tii

2012 Space Grey 335i

Where's Alonzo?!

3 minutes ago, gregp553 said:

OK. But now what do I do on a rainy Sunday? I thought the windshield would be a good project.

Replace the valve cover gasket on your N55. That will take all day.

:D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Ray

56 minutes ago, ray_ said:

Replace the valve cover gasket on your N55. That will take all day.

:D

33,000 miles and dry as a bone. No way. I bought the 2002 to have something to work on. Good idea though.

72 Agave tii

2012 Space Grey 335i

Where's Alonzo?!

1 hour ago, gregp553 said:

33f,000 miles and dry as a bone. No way. I bought the 2002 to have something to work on. Good idea though.

I think the 40 pages of illustrated instructions are still on pelican parts site. Notwithstanding that and the intake valve decarbonization I really miss my 335 ?

Ray

My ‘76’s windshield suffered the same fate: the windshield looked great, except when the sun was at just the right angle. The tiny stone chips, in that light, made the windshield nearly opaque, certainly unsafe. I, too, thought it would be great to save the original windshield, but, to jimk’s point, I would have had to polish 100% of the windshield down to the depth of the deepest chip. Even antique glass restorers said “Don’t be stupid!” The new windshield is great! ?

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

32 minutes ago, Conserv said:

My ‘76’s windshield suffered the same fate: the windshield looked great, except when the sun was at just the right angle. The tiny stone chips, in that light, made the windshield nearly opaque, certainly unsafe. I, too, thought it would be great to save the original windshield, but, to jimk’s point, I would have had to polish 100% of the windshield down to the depth of the deepest chip. Even antique glass restorers said “Don’t be stupid!” The new windshield is great! ?

Regards,

Steve

Sounds like the right thing. Is the local dealer or some other source the best call these days?

72 Agave tii

2012 Space Grey 335i

Where's Alonzo?!

10 minutes with a clay bar might work wonders.  Certainly did with a few of my windshields. Worth a try.  

Clay bars will not remove pits; however, they will remove everything else.  The only things remaining will be pits and, thus, an overall reduction in total windshield "trash".  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 2002#3 said:

10 minutes with a clay bar might work wonders.  Certainly did with a few of my windshields. Worth a try.  

Clay bars will not remove pits; however, they will remove everything else.  The only things remaining will be pits and, thus, an overall reduction in total windshield "trash".  

I was just thinking about using a clay bar to clean my windshield today.  What do you use for a lubricant?

Tim Dennison

'72 BMW 2002 tii - Malaga,  '02 BMW Z3 Coupe Sterling Gray,  '09 BMW 650i - Carbon Black,  '15 BMW 228i Estoril Blue,  '19 BMW Z4 30 - San Francisco Red

Consider this a no loss situation.

Try this: https://www.eastwood.com/glass-polishing-kit-for-deep-scratches-5658.html

If it doesn't work for you, then get a new windshield.

I used this on BIG Cibie lights and will try it when the time comes on the windshield....I want to keep the OE stickers and the antenna for the UNGO box.....

HTH