• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Windshield Polish? 47 Years of Road Debris

gregp553

1 hour ago, Stevenc22 said:

Yeah I recently replaced my glass for a similar problem...

Where are people buying windshields? Dealer? Looks like Blunt sells them. Any advice?

72 Agave tii

2012 Space Grey 335i

76 Sienabraun - sold  95 M3 - sold  06 M Coupe - sold

Where's Alonzo?!

I bought a Pilkington windshield through Novus about seven years ago, for $125. 

My seals are cracking and the windshield's pitted, with maybe a dozen repaired dings.  Yet, the new windshield is hanging in the rafters in the back of the shop, awaiting installation, along with the seal.  The seal does not leak and I enjoy not having to worry about new dings in the old windshield. 

I have put new glass in old cars over the years and loved the result.  I am looking forward to installing mine, just not today.

(Clay bars really do help pull crud out of the pitting).   

4 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

I bought a Pilkington windshield through Novus about seven years ago, for $125. 

(Clay bars really do help pull crud out of the pitting).   

I did the clay bar. It does help. 

• Like 2

72 Agave tii

2012 Space Grey 335i

Where's Alonzo?!

Just now, gregp553 said:

I did the clay bar. It does help. 

Tangent topic, but have you tried one on the paint yet?

Very satisfying way to remove tough stuck on filth that regular washing won't touch.

The paint on my car is far from shiny, but cleanliness still makes a huge difference in how it looks and feels.

So smooooooth after a clay bar washing, followed by wax.

There is a liquid wax product called Aquawax that is a nice quick shine option.  I like it on glass too.  I think they say it can cause wiper chatter on the windshield, so I've mostly used it on the rest of the glass, following clay.

https://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-aquawax--951.html

• Like 1

Feldspar (as found in bon ami cleaning powder) is unlikely to provide the same clarity as a new windshield.  That said, it is a relatively inexpensive alternative that might provide "some" benefit.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Cleaning POWDER not Cleaner. 

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/all/carcare/all_use_bon_ami_on_windshield.html

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by percy

Good stuff. Thanks for the product ideas, percy. I've been a clay bar guy for a number of years now for paint. Amazing what it does for the paint. Much easier than most people think, too. 

72 Agave tii

2012 Space Grey 335i

Where's Alonzo?!

I'm really impressed no one has mentioned 0000 steel wool yet. This is in my opinion hands down the best way to polish a window. It will get overspray off, bugs off, tar off, really about anything off.  Make sure it is 0000 though, 000 usually will scratch but the 0000 does not. ALSO! This WILL take off any printed on antenna circuits (not our cars but Subaru's) and defroster grids. It also works really good on chrome and the like! 

• Like 5

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

I hit the windshield with clay bar and water today.  Came out great!  I went out for a drive and it was like the windshield was removed... well, maybe not quite, but there was definitely a huge improvement.

• Like 2

Tim Dennison

'72 BMW 2002 tii - Malaga,  '02 BMW Z3 Coupe Sterling Gray,  '09 BMW 650i - Carbon Black,  '15 BMW 228i Estoril Blue,  '19 BMW Z4 30 - San Francisco Red

Trying to renew a windshield with that level of pitting is a waste of time, elbow grease and cash. Even if you could polish the entire glass down below the deepest pit you could never be able to remove material equally across the entire glass. The likely result would be distortion.

47 years is a long time and and a new windshield will astound you with its clarity, driving at night will no longer be something to be feared.

Just get a new windshield.

https://account.autoglasshosting.com/nswizard/?zip=97448&year=1976&make=BMW&model=2002&bodystyle=2+Door+Sedan&_ob=WS&_ssg=&_os=&g-recaptcha-response=&opening=WS&A=Q&acct=w2g

• Like 2

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris