• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another Tire Question

Noel Saubers

I need help finding tires for the 72.  Current tires were purchased 15 years ago, tread is OK but the rubber is hard.  Currently running with 195/60R 13.  I have tried Tire Rack and they do not carry 13 inch tires.  Have had no luck with other retailers in Wisconsin.  Not interested in going to a larger wheel but what other size tires will fit on a 13.  What options do I have?  I am getting ready to take the car out on a trip to Utah to visit my daughter then down to New Mexico to my sisters and finally to Little Rock for a dad visit then back to Wisconsin before the snow falls.  I have also used the search bar on this site but could not really get an answer from the ones I read.  Would like to push the car hard in the mountains but only on good rubber.  Thanks for the help.

Not sure what you used for Search terms, but there have been some recent discussion on this topic.  Here's a good one - https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/197098-pirelli-centurato-cn36-tires

Another - https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/248107-best-13”-tire-size-for-sporting-look/

• Like 1

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Tire Rack does carry some (not many) 13" tires, but it's not obvious how to find them on their site:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?width=185%2F&ratio=70&diameter=13&startIndex=0&search=true&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&RunFlat=All

For size options, I like the comparator tool here:

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

1970 Granada 2002

I'd go Pirelli CN36 over the Kumho Solus Ta11

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

4 hours ago, JohnS said:

Good price

Just for fun I did a comparison between importing or buying local at today's conversion rate.  

Longstone: $138ea

Tirerack: $145ea

Hardly worth the additional effort to import yourself.

Is there duty on tires from the UK into the US? If so It makes even more sense to buy from TireRack.

Edited by PaulTWinterton

73 Inka Tii #2762958

8 hours ago, PaulTWinterton said:

Just for fun I did a comparison between importing or buying local at today's conversion rate.  

Is there duty on tires from the UK into the US? If so It makes even more sense to buy from TireRack.

Generally no duties on tires from the UK to the US.  But local sales taxes (e.g., 8 3/4% in NYC) generally apply to a sale from Tire Rack...  So, except in no-sales-tax U.S. states, I’m guessing Longstone remains measurably cheaper delivered to your door.

Regardless, I’m glad to see CN36’s being offered by Tire Rack, at a competitive price!

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 3

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

1 hour ago, PaulTWinterton said:

Just for fun I did a comparison between importing or buying local at today's conversion rate, because you can never have too many CN36’s....  

Completed that thought for you, Paul... ?

Best regards,

Steve

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Conserv said:

Completed that thought for you, Paul... ?

18 minutes ago, Conserv said:

because you can never have too many CN36’s....  

Actually...........I do need one more.  I only bought 4, not thinking about a matching spare.

I have since restored a fifth Western rim and it has no rubber.   Hmmmm, I bet they don't do free shipping on one tire. We'll see.SPARE10.jpg.812d7c031e35089034f9644eb4e3b045.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

73 Inka Tii #2762958

I put Kumho Solus 185/70 on my (relatively) newly acquired '73. It had tires from the 80's on it when I got it and needed something pronto, and this is what I was able to find. I can't report on performance other than some gentle cruising as I sorted out the car before putting it up on jacks in the garage last Fall, however. Price is right: https://www.amazon.com/Kumho-Solus-TA11-All-Season-Radial/dp/B01A0PS5ZG

@adawil2002 curious for your hesitations on this tire. I'm hopeful to discover myself yet this Fall as I'm working hard to get Carolina road-worthy, but would be interested to know the concerns

--

'73 Sahara numbers matching 

'74 Mintgrun sunroof car w/ oem Golde deflector, euro bumpers, 5spd, owned since 2002

2 hours ago, PaulTWinterton said:

I'm one hour from the Tire Rack West Coast hub just 10 minutes east of Reno.

It's H U G E ( like GINORMOUS 1/4 mile long warehouse HUGE) and everyone working there drives a golf cart with a tire trailer.

Drive up...order at the desk inside... and you have  tires in less than 10 minutes.

Edited by iinca
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, PaulTWinterton said:

That's very cool.  Any discount for pickup? 

Paul,

Their website suggested there was a discount for in-person pick-up.

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 1