• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another Tire Question

Noel Saubers

8 hours ago, otto said:

I put Kumho Solus 185/70 on my (relatively) newly acquired '73. It had tires from the 80's on it when I got it and needed something pronto, and this is what I was able to find. I can't report on performance other than some gentle cruising as I sorted out the car before putting it up on jacks in the garage last Fall, however. Price is right: https://www.amazon.com/Kumho-Solus-TA11-All-Season-Radial/dp/B01A0PS5ZG

@adawil2002 curious for your hesitations on this tire. I'm hopeful to discover myself yet this Fall as I'm working hard to get Carolina road-worthy, but would be interested to know the concerns

Hi Otto,

I have been running Kumho Solus KR21 & TA11 tires now on my Tii since 2010, now on my 4th set. They are inexpensive which is attractive yet with that price point come limitations. They are OK in the dry and pretty quiet, so they will not squeal when one is driving in a spirited fashion on twisty roads. Where they are terrible is on twisty damp roads and in the rain. They will lose traction quietly and unexpectedly.

It is easy to outdrive what the tires are capable of and I came too close for comfort to hitting a stone wall in 2016. Roads were wet from recent rains and I was driving with some friends, when I went to turn, the front tires lost grip and plowed, I came within inches of a stone wall. Lesson learned, luckily disaster averted. I slow down considerably in those conditions now and pretend I'm driving on ice.    

• Like 3

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

12 hours ago, PaulTWinterton said:

Just for fun I did a comparison between importing or buying local at today's conversion rate.  

Longstone: $138ea

Tirerack: $145ea

Hardly worth the additional effort to import yourself.

Is there duty on tires from the UK into the US? If so It makes even more sense to buy from TireRack.

That's cool that Longstone is still the winner.  I hadn't considered the current exchange rates.  And the CA taxes I would pay if I ordered from The Rack.  When I ordered my set of CN 36s from Longstone a few years ago, I was surprised at how quickly they arrived.  I'm a Happy Customer for sure!  I didn't have to pay any import fees or anything extra for shipment to CA.

• Like 1

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

There's no shipping charge if I go there but 6.85 sales tax in NV

Shipping usually takes no more than a day or at two at the most though....

Shipping is usually the same as taxes. I save a few hours if I ship'

BUT

It's all about convenience. I usually plan a trip to Reno when I need tires. I like pulling up to the drive through window and ordering a Quadruple CN36 Burger to go

Edited by iinca
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Johnny Riviera said:

What additional effort? Here was my experience with Longstone:

My experience as well was beyond expectation.

Up until yesterday I thought Tire Rack was a U.S. chain of stores that you drove to, to buy tires and have them mounted and balanced. Oops!  

73 Inka Tii #2762958

12 hours ago, adawil2002 said:

Hi Otto,

I have been running Kumho Solus KR21 & TA11 tires now on my Tii since 2010, now on my 4th set. They are inexpensive which is attractive yet with that price point come limitations. They are OK in the dry and pretty quiet, so they will not squeal when one is driving in a spirited fashion on twisty roads. Where they are terrible is on twisty damp roads and in the rain. They will lose traction quietly and unexpectedly.

It is easy to outdrive what the tires are capable of and I came too close for comfort to hitting a stone wall in 2016. Roads were wet from recent rains and I was driving with some friends, when I went to turn, the front tires lost grip and plowed, I came within inches of a stone wall. Lesson learned, luckily disaster averted. I slow down considerably in those conditions now and pretend I'm driving on ice.    

Andrew,

You drive your tii so much, and all over the country, why take chances? Get it a set of great tires: Cinturato’s, XAS’s, whatever.... ?

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

8 hours ago, Conserv said:

Andrew,

You drive your tii so much, and all over the country, why take chances? Get it a set of great tires: Cinturato’s, XAS’s, whatever.... ?

Best regards,

Steve

Going Pirelli CN36 next time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Another supplier of the CN36 is Performance Plus Tire in Long Beach.  They list the 185/70-13 for $155.  I had done some research before Tire Rack carried them.

https://www.performanceplustire.com/antique-tires/pirelli-classic-tires/cinturato-cn36-blackwall/ty:Antique:ts:185-70-13/

• Like 1

Tim Dennison

'72 BMW 2002 tii - Malaga,  '02 BMW Z3 Coupe Sterling Gray,  '09 BMW 650i - Carbon Black,  '15 BMW 228i Estoril Blue,  '19 BMW Z4 30 - San Francisco Red

• 2 weeks later...

Michelin has also gotten back into the game with what I think they call the "XDX". 185/70 13. Saw them on an '02 a month ago. But they are insanely expensive. $350 each.

'72 2002 Tundra/Saddle,

'72 2002tii Ceylon/Black 

'89 325is Alpine White/Sand - 88 535is Royal Blau Gray Leather M Cloth

3 hours ago, RFord888 said:

Michelin has also gotten back into the game with what I think they call the "XDX". 185/70 13. Saw them on an '02 a month ago. But they are insanely expensive. $350 each.

Rich,

The XDX’s are part of the now-ancient XWX series of tires, invented in the late 1960’s — I believe — for the supercars of the era, e.g., Ferrari’s, Maserati’s, etc.

And, like many members of that family, the 185/70VR13 XDX has remained available through the “Michelin Classic” program, i.e., periodic batches of the tires are produced using original molds but modern rubber compounds. The 165HR13 XAS, not a member of the XWX series, is available through the same Michelin Classic program. Thus, the 185/70VR13 XDX and the 165HR13 XAS have been continuously available since the ‘02 era. The extreme cost of the XDX — often $425-ish each — has made it less... visible than the already-expensive XAS.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)