• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

looking for a "how-to" for installing a Tii clock

joebarthlow

9 minutes ago, Gordon said:

The Euro dash had the depressed imprint for clock hole  in the back of the dash and it was very obvious where the clock went.

I have a 72 non-tii upper dash in my stash. It has the depressed imprints in the back as well.

I solved the thumb-nut fitment issue with a tool I made some years ago.  I can't find the original post so I will add what I remember here.  It turns the job into a 5 minute process.

942871916_clocktool1.jpg.b9db555de9ce17ef1482cbe101a99579.jpg

One caveat that I remember: to keep the clock and u-clamp in position, you must have something in front of the clock (on the dash) to keep it from moving forward as you turn the knob.

9 hours ago, Swiss 2002Tii said:

If it is opened, you can use a small amount of solder to reconnect it.

I thought I recognized that picture.  I created that in 2014 with an actual camera. Not a phone.  Seems like longer ago.

1376752266_SolderpointTut.jpg.3453f97458360855d37ba2d8e2575436.jpg

• Like 2

73 Inka Tii #2762958

On 9/7/2019 at 12:56 PM, jp5Touring said:

Is this that desirable upgrade for people ?  

Only if you like a clock in your car.... ?

In 1976, a car clock was pretty much expected, and I couldn’t yet rely on my iPhone!

If I could do it over again, I’d still put a tii clock in my ‘76. ?

Best regards,

Steve

0DA878BD-9B8E-447E-B551-726CF9B77936.jpeg

451E345A-EDFC-4FD2-BBC7-4081B8D00716.jpeg

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

1 hour ago, Gordon said:

Les, I have to disagree with you. The dash in my tii looked like the Grand Canyon with all the cracks in it.  In 2004, I stumbled on to a crack free one piece Euro spec 02 dash (no fasten seat belt billboard) at a vintage auto flea market for 120 Euros. I bought it and mailed it back home.  Before installing it,  the hole in the dash for the clock was carefully cut out. The Euro dash had the depressed imprint for clock hole  in the back of the dash and it was very obvious where the clock went.

G-Man

Gordon,

Not sure what you're disagreeing about. The two pics I posted show no indication/indent for the tii clock. So I am saying that not all dashes (Euro or otherwise) came with the clock indent on the back of the dash.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

2 hours ago, PaulTWinterton said:

I thought I recognized that picture.  I created that in 2014 with an actual camera. Not a phone.  Seems like longer ago.

Thanks again Paul!  I save everything I think will be useful to a Word doc on the topic so I don't have to spend hours searching to find it again.  I had saved your photo as a jpeg.

• Like 1

1972 BMW Inka 2002Tii  ?

1974 BMW Turkis 3.0 CSi ?

1972 MBZ Weiss 280SE 4.5 

2006 BMW Cobalt 530i (38,700 m original)

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, joebarthlow said:

wow, I lost this thread and found it searching about installing a my clock! Thanks for much for the information. 

I don’t view it so much as information. It’s more like.... a bad influence! ?

Good luck and best regards,

Steve

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

It’s so much easier to pull the dash out of the car in order to install (or remove) the Tii clock.  The space between the rear of the clock and the dash sheet metal on the car is minimal and getting your hand back there is very difficult.  With that said, it can be done if you remove the center console and find someone with small hands to reach up there behind the clock (hint...find a kid, they have small hands).  If your 02 has A/C, good luck to you.

As far as the pre-marked area for the clock on the back of non-Ti/Tii dashes, I’ve dismantled many parts cars over the years and will say that the majority of them have the pre-marked hole so you can ‘punch’ it out (I’d use a drill).  Of the dashes I’ve seen without the pre-marked hole they have all been early three piece dashes, some seem to have it while others don’t.  

Edited by Brandon

'03 BMW Z4 3.0i

’89 BMW 325is

'80 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
'20 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT