• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Body panels

Mehrdad

18 hours ago, Mehrdad said:

The car was a Euro 74 with the US spec bumpers that had the extended brackets, front and rear. 

That made it strange.

Did the VIN on the car match a Euro tii or a USA tii?

USA '02s also end up in other Countries.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

USA style front blinkers were part of the "sport paket" which could be ordered with your new '02 Touring back in the day. Internally they are the same as the normal flat Euro blinkers. I like them as they are way more visible when blinking than the flat ones.

DSCN3188crsm.thumb.JPG.88c515d33c0d1206d8d767e5c5e6768d.JPG

• Like 4

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

4 minutes ago, 02Les said:

Some years ago I saw (actually several times over a period of years) an Agave US spec roundie 2002 in a front yard right on the Pan American highway in Rivas, Nicaragua.  Never could stop and check it i out, though.  

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

34 minutes ago, 02Les said:

USA style front blinkers were part of the "sport paket" which could be ordered with your new '02 Touring back in the day. Internally they are the same as the normal flat Euro blinkers. I like them as they are way more visible when blinking than the flat ones.

DSCN3188crsm.thumb.JPG.88c515d33c0d1206d8d767e5c5e6768d.JPG

Wow! Who the hell saw that coming? ?

In the spirit of the many ‘02 owners who refer to flush turn signals as “Euro signals” — despite their presence on all U.S.-spec cars from 1966 to 1970 — I will, hereafter, refer to bulge turn signals as “Sport Paket signals” to keep the rest of you confused! ?

Thanks and best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

4 hours ago, 02Les said:

Did the VIN on the car match a Euro tii or a USA tii?

I did take a picture of the VIN, but was blurred. I do remember though that it didn’t not start with 276 or 278, most likely was a 273.

BYW, if I hit the “report post” it unintentional, sorry.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2019 at 7:12 PM, Conserv said:

‘02’s, from the 1966 1600-2 to the 1977 1502, used the same front fenders and rear quarter panels. The original lips of the front and rear wheel openings should be small and softly rounded, not squared. Below is my ‘76. The left rear quarter panel is original and has never been hit or rusted (I’m the original owner) and the left front fender has been replaced, due to rust, with an NOS item (orange label, so probably pre-1985-ish production).

The open seam above the front grille on your car testifies to the fact that, at minimum, the original left front fender has been removed. In all likelihood, the original fender was replaced with a new fender at that time. The lip either started larger than stock (as in “aftermarket”), or was modified. The left rear quarter panel might have been replaced with an aftermarket quarter panel, but it could also have (a.) had a rust repair to the lip, and/or (b.) been intentionally altered to provide additional clearance for oversize tires: these cars all originally came with either 6.00 S 13 bias-ply tires (1966 through 1968 1600-2) or 165/80 13 radial tires. Your tii came from the factory with 5 x 13, ET28, steel rims  and 165HR13 radials. Both your rims and your tires appear to be larger than the stock equipment.

Regards,

Steve

5CDE1738-0606-4A66-ABB2-7849E66B68E5.jpeg

Hi Steve,

I think you are right that the lips were replaced for additional clearance. I could feel a edge on the inside of the fenders that is suspect to replacement of the lips only. 

Thanks 

• Like 1