• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just bought a rough, solid, roundie 2002

I've worked at a large North Texas BMW dealership for several years now, and I've never owned any BMW product.  I've serviced a number of vintage bmws including 02s, e9s, m1s, z8s and countless other cars as well as complete restorations, including a concours 2002tii, and an e30 m3 most recently.

This poor little 72 was the parts car for a Tii (it is a base 2002) and has been rusting behind the shop longer than I've worked there.  I couldn't stand to see it rust away, so it is now my first BMW.  

It has a little rust on the shell but nothing that a couple hours of fabrication won't fix.  I'm planning on posting up progress periodically as I move along with the project, it will probably be a couple years before it's on the road again since there is a lot missing or unusable, but its a great starting point.  

Really looking forward to being part of the 2002 community!

20190906_222717.jpg

20190906_195136.jpg

20190829_114814.jpg

• Like 13

Very cool project.  Welcome to the faq, the best automotive message board on earth.  Lucky for you there are a lot of Texan owners around here.  We have a great blog section for those periodical updates.

What are your long term goals?  A concourse car, a tasteful restomod, a ball-out hotrod, or a race car?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, FunElan said:

Welcome! I'm gonna guess you work at Classic BMW. Great place!

My guess too!  

Welcome to the forum!  Many answers here...

Love the classic BMWs in the Classic BMW showroom....

Jason

Edited by JsnPpp

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

Another roundie saved!  And Malaga at that--one of my more favorite colors.  

No shortage of good advice and nice folks here on the FAQ, so welcome to the 02 fraternity/sorority.  

Put the last weekend on April on your calendar--that's the MidAmerica 02Fest in Eureka Springs, AR.  Even if your car isn't done by then, it's worth the trip there just to meet all the other 02 owners--we had 73 cars this year.  There's always a big Texas contingent there so you'll meet a lot of fellow--and local--owners.  And of course it can be a goal to get your car driveable (looks don't count at MidAmerica) in time for 2020...

Keep us posted on your progress, and don't be shy about asking questions.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Welcome!

First order of business — and the only free one — is to figure out what you have!

Email the VIN to BMW Group Archives (info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com) and request their data on the car. Publish their response here and enter the car in this forum’s Registry. That response will confirm the model, the market, the original build date, and the factory exterior color. There is no charge and you generally receive a reply within two business days.

The car appears to be an April 1971 through August 1973 U.S.-spec 2002, now Malaga, as Mike S. pointed out, but perhaps originally a Chamonix (white) car, based on what I see under the Malaga paint.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Wow, I was not expecting so many replies so fast.  To answer questions in as close to the proper order as possible; 

didn't take anyone long to figure out classic bmw, apparently no other bmw dealers in the area have or service vintage, we're all car guys here, at every level.  

I'm planning on doing a restoration with a few updates, probably not going back with an m10/getrag 262, but I will not do anything that cannot be reversed easily, I do not cut cars up to modify them.  I'll add things, but not make major changes.  

According to the VIN this is a midyear 1972, base 2002, Polaris silver/tan interior, standard m10/manual trans.  The car originally had the heated rear glass, and was fitted with the frigiking air conditioning from the dealer.

Really looking forward to this project

The Malaga Brotherhood thanks you for saving one of it's bretheren!

Your lucky to have those fairly rare optional bumper add ons! Don't give those away!

Decent grills too! You just saved $800 bux if they're as straight as they look in the pics

Edited by iinca