• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 2002tii Distributor Cap Option Question

Volkscafe

I have a 74 2002tii with the factory Bosch vacuum advance distributor#  0231180013

I see that the distributor cap part number that most sites list for the replacement is the 03012 cap. However this factory distributor has a female slot in it to orientate the cap which an 03010 cap would work with, but also has a male tab on the distributor cap clip to orientate the cap like a 03012 cap uses. I am curious which cap is actually correct to use and want to know if somewhere along the way someone modified my distributor to run an 03012 cap by adding that early style clip to orientate the cap. If that is the case it would offset number one on the cap different than the 03010 cap would have. 

This may be a dumb question and is why I haven't seen it asked or answered by anyone else. It could just be that Bosch used the same distributor body on this BMW as well as other model vehicles and used the male tap cap clip to orientate the 03012 cap where BMW wanted it. 

I'm frustrated because my Bosch book lists an 03012 cap for this model distributor number under 1974 2002ti. It looks odd to me though that this body has the slot for the 03010 cap but is using the clip for the 03012 cap that both Bosch and Real OEM say it should use. I feel the 03012 cap is correct for it, but just want to be sure and see if anyone else has run into this situation and found a solution. 

IMG_4073.jpg

IMG_4071.jpg

IMG_4068.jpg

fullsizeoutput_130a.jpeg

Edited by Volkscafe

I have a 74tii with the same stock vacuum retard distributor.  It's specific to the '74tii.  It doesn't have vacuum advance, just vacuum retard.  I can verify the proper part number for the Bosch cap that's supposed to match that distributor when I get home tonight.  I believe that the "tab-up" clip is correct for that distributor, but will verify tonight and report back. 

John  

• Like 1

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

Hi there,

I verified that my stock '74tii Bosch 0 231 180 013 Distributor has the same "tab-up" mounting clip as yours and takes the Bosch 03019 Distributor Cap or the BREMI 8016 cap.  The Bosch Cap is black in color now.  Not sure if the Bosch part numbers have changed, but the Bosch caps that I have are 03019.  The same mounting tab and cap are on my stock 0 231 151 008 distributor from my '73tii too. Old picture taken before I sent both off to be rebuilt by AD.

0 231 180 013.JPG

TabUp.JPG

0 231 151 008.JPG

Edited by JohnS

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

If the 03012 fits this same "tab-up" style clip, it might be more "correct" than the 03019 I'm using.  I wonder what the difference might be if they both fit and work?  Maybe the color, dunno...  

Edited by JohnS

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

Thanks John for posting the picture of your 013 distributor so I can see it has the same notch and clip as mine that allows for the use of the 03012 / 03019 cap. As far as I can tell they are both the same cap, but have different part numbers to distinguish color. 

Confirms my belief that the way the distributor was set up with that clip and cap were both correct for what I needed. Just wanted to make sure as the shop that worked on it before I got the car did some half ass work on the electronic ignition system that was in there when I bought it and they jerry rigged a few things to get it to work. 

Edited by Volkscafe