• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is my temp gauge accurate?

Cooper

I’m gonna give all the info I can, in hopes for the best feedback. 

The cars temp gauge didn’t work for the first year+, but a few months ago I added an extra ground to the fuel and temp gauge, and it worked after that, but the needle sits quite high. In the picture below, the needle is sitting maybe a needles width higher than it usually does, and I used the IR thermometer pointed at the water neck, and it measured about 200 degrees. 

The only thing to note about the cooling system that I am aware of, is it has an e21 radiator. 

So my question is, is the gauge reading correctly in that picture for 200 degrees? And if not, is there a way that I can get it to read lower? The car hasn’t overheated since I’ve had it, I’d just like to have a bit of a warning if it was going to, in the form being able to see the needle move some distance. 

Thank you. 

781D4AEF-EEC8-40BE-ADC9-79642D882F9E.jpeg

You can also try to slacken and re-tighten the sender unit on the water distributor...corrosion in the threads can cause the gauge to read high...

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

I’ve swapped the sender a couple times to see if it affected the reading. So if loosening and tightening it, would fix it, i think it would’ve done that by now. But I could try cleaning the threads with a brush, I’m just avoiding draining how ever much coolant is needed so that it doesn’t drip 

Schon '02 beat me to it--his post is a page from the CCA "Tech Tips" book, published in 1976, with a '79 addendum.  

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

So then it would appear that the gauge is a bit optimistic, but not by too much. 

My worry was that if it went in the red, would that even be an accurate reading, and something to worry about. So I guess that kinda answers that. Thanks to everyone, as always 

Ignoring — and perhaps unaware of — the description in the Owner’s handbook, below, some owners panic when the temperature gauge reads above 3 o’clock. I do not. Most ‘02’s I’ve owned have operated, most of the time, between the red zone and 3 o’clock. Separately, most ‘02’s I’ve owned register a slightly higher temperature when electrical accessories, e.g., headlights, are turned on.

Regards,

Steve

3E08630E-76AF-4458-9A93-A0CEC29EC706.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

What I've found in addition to the above, is that, the actual "thumb nuts" that hold the temp and fuel gauges into the pod, have a propensity to also become corroded enough over the years to cause a poor connection to the pcb. I remove each gauge and clean up their mounting points thoroughly with fine sand paper,or whatever you choose. This is a very common problem often missed.

Good Luck,

dq 

• Like 1