• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine block # 1102590? Is that one of ours?

Healey3000

I've never seen an engine number stamped that sloppily from the factory; also the ones I've seen have a + mark before and after the number.  A VIN in that range looks like it's from an NK sedan, which of course used an M10 engine.  There's a faint impression just in front of the first "1" that doesn't look factory either.  Can anyone read it?

Also check the casting date on the block and head (see archives for how to interpret, or post photos) and that'll give you an idea of when it was manufactured.  

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

14 hours ago, Healey3000 said:

See anything of concern?

Early blocks typically don’t have oil ‘groove’ in the main bearing journal housing (an improvement BMW made in production). Also, that block doesn’t appear to have provision for boss/fitting if you wanted to run carb with water choke. I presume you will check the bore size... -KB

2 minutes ago, kbmb02 said:

Early blocks typically don’t have oil ‘groove’ in the main bearing journal housing (an improvement BMW made in production). Also, that block doesn’t appear to have provision for boss/fitting if you wanted to run carb with water choke. I presume you will check the bore size... -KB

Hi,

How much of an issue will the lack of an oil groove be?  I don't need the coolant port because I will be using MegaSquirt EFI.  Block has been machined fully and has 89.97 mm 9.5 CR pistons.

Thanks.

9 minutes ago, Healey3000 said:

How much of an issue will the lack of an oil groove be?  I don't need the coolant port because I will be using MegaSquirt EFI.  Block has been machined fully and has 89.97 mm 9.5 CR pistons.

I can’t quantify / know for certain, and recognize others may have opinions.

For my street-performance and racing M10 engine builds, I don’t use the early “non-back-grooved” blocks, believing BMW made the improvement for a good reason. (The grooves allow oil to flow to the crank journal - via the lubrication holes in the main bearings - on both the ‘saddle side’ and the ‘main cap side’ - without the groove, the oil pressure only feeds in one location.) -KB

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Healey3000 said:

Does the groove also have to be machined into the bearing caps?  Are there any pictures you can point me to that may show this groove?  I hope a machine shop can do this easily!

Yes, matching groove would also be machined in the main bearing caps (no point, otherwise).

Here’s a photo showing the OEM grooves. I’ve never had a machine shop cut the grooves, as blocks seem to be available for a reasonable cost. (for data point, this block had extra flash knocked off and then prepped, magna-fluxed, stress-relieved, line honed and bored/honed to size - #not-everyone-does-this). -KB

3FAADC3C-2879-49C0-B772-56A699C0D1B4.thumb.jpeg.72efdf7551e431673f34dd023ca5a486.jpeg

• Like 2