• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tii I am about to buy, help.

Dosky

OK, I ran across a 74 Tii.  It appears to be a pretty nice car but has a few funky things going on.  I could use some help in valuing the car.

1) The dash appears to be an early 2 piece or 3 piece unit.  It is in good shape without cracks but is not the correct 1974 dash.

2) The clock is mounted to the console face instead of the dash.

3) I have not tried to verify the motor number but there is a block off plate for a fuel pump.  I assume this means it is not a correct Tii block.

4) The VIN checks out to be a Tii and other aspects look to be correct too.

5) It has had a color change from Malaga to a non BMW color.  It is a good looking color and the paint work is high quality.  The engine bay was painted along with the door jambs and underside of hood / trunk.

6) The car is rust free.  The paint was done about 8 years ago and stored inside since.  It is not showing any rust bubbles or proof of rust repairs.

I am going to drive it and give it a thorough look today.  Please advise.

1)  No clock dash came from a non-tii.

2)  Fuel pump blocked off is for a carb'd M10, and it could still have a tii block. VIN is on the block right above the starter.

3)  - 6) Check BAT and ebay, lots of fairly well documented '02s have sold in the last couple years through those venues.

• Like 1

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

Really depends on whether it has a tii engine in it or not.  Ideally, the engine the car came with.  

The dash probably went in during the repaint.  

If I had to value it, assuming it had the correct engine, but it was converted to carbs, I’d say 20% or so less than those ‘74 tiis on BAT.  Find comparable condition ones on BAT and do the math from those.  

If it doesn’t have the correct engine, a bigger percentage less.  Having the injected engine is mostly what makes a tii a tii.  

One man’s opinion.  Possibly worth the price you paid for it, lol.

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

How can I easily see the engine number?  It is fuel injected.  The motor and trans were pulled for the paint work.  I drove the car today, it runs out pretty well and shifts fine.  It has some drive line vibration, could be the carrier bearing, u-joint or ???

On the up side, it is a rust free car with very nice paint.  I think I can straighten out the issues it has. Or at least most of them.

The price is right for a Tii.  I just sold a base model for the same money that needs paint.  The one I sold is a good car but!!!

I guess I just need to sleep on it.

M10 engine ID number is on the same flat surface that the cylinder head bolts onto, directly above the starter adjacent to the transmission. By wiping away excess grunge, then squinting and craning your neck while looking down into the gap "circled" in yellow in the photo, you should be able to locate the engine ID number. This isn't my car, mine is real easy to read right now because there's no cylinder head.

engine_number_location.thumb.JPG.655205979641b10da00c1c5429d89bf6.JPG

Drive line vibration is possibly a guibo (flex joint at transmission output), u-joint, lack of transmission exhaust bracket, exhaust rubbing on something, center driveshaft bearing, transmission output bearing, or combinations of any of the above. Cracked guibo is highly likely, and is fairly easy to repair.

Edited by JerryC
more answers
  • Like 1

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

I found the motor number on my car.  It is pretty easy to see due to carburetor as opposed to Tii injection.  I'm going out on a limb and buying the car.  I've been looking for a decent Tii and I think I can iron out the issues this one has.  The last one I bought had too many things that just couldn't be fixed.  Hopefully I can work the kinks out of this one.  I'll post photos tonight.

I personally wouldn't buy a tii that didn't have a matching engine. I'm a stickler for matching everything. There are too many cars out there to settle.

No K-fish pump along with the sale? $trike 2.

Color change and wrong dash aren't that big a deal. They can be changed. GL.

• Like 3

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

32 minutes ago, Dosky said:

I haven't pulled the trigger the but about to.

This is an excellent time for photos!

Jason

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!