• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tii I am about to buy, help.

Dosky

Seriously...what you have here is the most knowledgeable website about 2002's, staffed by the most knowledgeable 2002 people...

You've asked for help, but haven't given us information to help  us help you...

Do you really want help?

I, (and I am sure Steve) are most interested in the 'rust free' part...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 10/1/2019 at 6:30 AM, Dosky said:

....I'm going out on a limb and buying the car.  I've been looking for a decent Tii and I think I can iron out the issues this one has.  The last one I bought had too many things that just couldn't be fixed.  Hopefully I can work the kinks out of this one....

Dosky,

You have every right to purchase whatever car you wish to purchase: good, bad, or indifferent. But here’s how the above sounds to me:

”I inadequately vetted my last ‘02, so I’ve dumped that one and now I’m buying a another ‘02, which I don’t really want to vet any better because.... well, just because...”

No doubt you’ve personally learned something about ‘02’s from your prior failed experience, but, as has already been pointed out by otisdog, you’re not taking advantage of what this forum’s members have collectively learned from our many buying experiences: a broad conglomeration of failed and successful purchases.... ?

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 5

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

It is my 6th in 2 years. I know you think I’m flipping cars but I’m not. I’ve lost $ on each one. I’m trying to find a nice base model and nice slick top Tii. I bought a very nice 76 model in KC off this site. It is a keeper. I bought and sold a Tii that had issues I didn’t want to deal with. I’m hoping I can get this new one to fill the other slot in my garage. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Dosky said:

It is my 6th in 2 years. I know you think I’m flipping cars but I’m not. I’ve lost $ on each one. I’m trying to find a nice base model and nice slick top Tii. I bought a very nice 76 model in KC off this site. It is a keeper. I bought and sold a Tii that had issues I didn’t want to deal with. I’m hoping I can get this new one to fill the other slot in my garage. 

Holy crap!

I don’t think for one second that you’re a flipper, Dosky. I think you’re just a bad ‘02 buyer — or is that a “buyer of bad ‘02’s”? ? It sounds like you perform your due diligence after you purchase the car. And that’s your right!

There is a different way, however. It’s called a Pre-Purchase Inspection (a.k.a., PPI) by a knowledgeable person. Just saying... ?

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Live and learn, I agree that I haven't been the best purchaser.  I haven't lost much money, or hardly any to speak of at all.  

I have been a BMW bike guy for 40 years and managed a BMW shop in the late 80s - early 90s.  I have bought, sold and restored more /5, /6 and /7 bikes than I can remember.  The one thing people always say about my bikes is that they are nicer than described.  I always try my best to disclose any and all issues.  It is pretty  easy on a bike.  The same is to be said when buying a bike.  I have purchased a number of bikes on e-bay, IBMWR and through the MOA.  I can only think of one that was badly misrepresented.  I was able to part it out to get my $ back.

I guess I'm too trusting.  I bought 3 of my 2002s long distance and trusted the seller's description which turned out to be a "little less than accurate".  My disappointment was my own fault for not having it inspected or flying out to see the respective car.  An oversight on a seller's part is understandable.  Blatant misrepresentation is another.  There are plenty of people trying to pass off poorly finished cars as restored.  I have bought 6 but I have probably personally looked at 20.  I have flown as far as MN and CA to see "restored" cars.  I did buy Bill Meyer's restored car and I am extremely happy with it.  I drove to KS with a trailer.  If it had not been as described I'd have come home empty handed.

I just sold my white '76 model to a guy in NC.  I wanted to make room for my new Tii.  I don't expect to roll this car in the garage and not do anything to it.  I have learned a lot while working on the cars I've bought.  I have a feel for what is easy to fix and what is not.  My desire for a particular car is why I bought this Tii.  If it had not been in my own back yard I'd have passed on it.  If it were not a slick top I would not have even looked at it.  I took a jack, stands, lights, magnet everything needed to do a thorough body inspection.  I drove the car for 45 minutes.  The car has good bones and is not rusty.  Most of what it needs requires swapping out improper items with appropriate items.  I'm sure you will see me in the "Parts Wanted" area soon.

This is the only photo I have for now.  More to come soon.

71216685_701299403628307_2172493392888463360_n.jpg

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Dosky said:

Live and learn, I agree that I haven't been the best purchaser.  I haven't lost much money, or hardly any to speak of at all.  

I have been a BMW bike guy for 40 years and managed a BMW shop in the late 80s - early 90s.  I have bought, sold and restored more /5, /6 and /7 bikes than I can remember.  The one thing people always say about my bikes is that they are nicer than described.  I always try my best to disclose any and all issues.  It is pretty  easy on a bike.  The same is to be said when buying a bike.  I have purchased a number of bikes on e-bay, IBMWR and through the MOA.  I can only think of one that was badly misrepresented.  I was able to part it out to get my $ back.

I guess I'm too trusting.  I bought 3 of my 2002s long distance and trusted the seller's description which turned out to be a "little less than accurate".  My disappointment was my own fault for not having it inspected or flying out to see the respective car.  An oversight on a seller's part is understandable.  Blatant misrepresentation is another.  There are plenty of people trying to pass off poorly finished cars as restored.  I have bought 6 but I have probably personally looked at 20.  I have flown as far as MN and CA to see "restored" cars.  I did buy Bill Meyer's restored car and I am extremely happy with it.  I drove to KS with a trailer.  If it had not been as described I'd have come home empty handed.

I just sold my white '76 model to a guy in NC.  I wanted to make room for my new Tii.  I don't expect to roll this car in the garage and not do anything to it.  I have learned a lot while working on the cars I've bought.  I have a feel for what is easy to fix and what is not.  My desire for a particular car is why I bought this Tii.  If it had not been in my own back yard I'd have passed on it.  If it were not a slick top I would not have even looked at it.  I took a jack, stands, lights, magnet everything needed to do a thorough body inspection.  I drove the car for 45 minutes.  The car has good bones and is not rusty.  Most of what it needs requires swapping out improper items with appropriate items.  I'm sure you will see me in the "Parts Wanted" area soon.

This is the only photo I have for now.  More to come soon.

71216685_701299403628307_2172493392888463360_n.jpg

Nice looking car, handsome color too. Thanks for filling in blanks...

Jason

• Like 3

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!