• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New 2002 Owner Checking In + Questions

Jeffinslaw

Hey guys! Just purchased a 1972 2002. I also own a 2008 M5 that I do all of the work on. Looking forward to messing around with this car and getting it back to OEM+. Here is a link to the registry, has some details about the car and some of my plans for the car: 

Looks good from 10ft away but don't get too close.

I had some questions I wanted to ask the experts here. I'd like to accomplish some of the more simpler modifications to the car first.

1.  One of the things I wanted to do was switch out all of the rubber hose and hardline tubing for the fuel system and run some stainless steel braided 8AN tubing under the car, through the trans tunnel and up into the engine bay and back. I'd replace the existing barbs with some metric equivalent AN fittings. Only issue here I can think of is something flying up and hitting the hose, but, if it is secured, that shouldn't be an issue. Additionally, I would go with a nice aftermarket exhaust and try and keep the braided hose as far away from the exhaust tubing as possible. In doing some searching, I saw that the hardline tubing was used because the system has a lot of pressure. Is replacing this hardline tubing with the stainless steel braided hose an okay idea? I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on this (good or bad).

2.  Parts diagram(s). I love realoem for my M5 but I haven't been able to find the 2002 in realoem to get part numbers. Does anyone have a resource for this?

That's all I can think of right now. Looking forward to this project and learning tons of new stuff with this car.

-Jeffinslaw

• Like 2

Welcome to the faq. You've come to the right place, lots of answers here. Maybe I can help with one here.

1. The hard steel line is used as the pressure fuel line on tii's only. Standard '02's fuel is supplied through the plastic line that runs through the cabin, and the steel line is the return or overflow line.

2. When in RealOEM.com, select the "Classic" catalog button on the left to get to the 2002 sections.

image.png.75d5e339e1fe70e92e17c54288b8cee4.png

• Like 3

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

7 minutes ago, JerryC said:

Welcome to the faq. You've come to the right place, lots of answers here. Maybe I can help with one here.

1. The hard steel line is used as the pressure fuel line on tii's only. Standard '02's fuel is supplied through the plastic line that runs through the cabin, and the steel line is the return or overflow line.

2. When in RealOEM.com, select the "Classic" catalog button on the left to get to the 2002 sections.

image.png.75d5e339e1fe70e92e17c54288b8cee4.png

1.  Okay, great, thanks for the info!

2.  Ahhh it's under "sedan," even though that doesn't make any sense. Why I didn't think to check out some of the other tabs... Thank you!

-Jeffinslaw

Nice Car! Good luck with your build. Just about any question you could ever need an answer for is on this forum these guys know their stuff!!! Might as well post some pics of the M5 while you're on here...

7 hours ago, Jeffinslaw said:

2.  Ahhh it's under "sedan," even though that doesn't make any sense. Why I didn't think to check out some of the other tabs... Thank you!

Jeff,

“Sedan” doesn’t say anything about the number of doors. There are 2-door and 4-door sedans. A sedan generally has A, B, and C pillars. A “coupe” has no B pillar (or no pillar between the front and rear pillars). So the 2002 is a sedan in virtually all jurisdictions — although the Brits stuck an odd script badge on the ass of a few ‘02’s and tried to sell them as “Coupe’s”! ?

Welcome!

Regards,

Steve

• Like 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Nice looking car!  Digitally can't get closer than 10ft so we are all good.

Welcome to the world of 2002s and to the Faq, great seeing new 02 owners coming into the fold. Appreciate the formal intro too.

Tons of answers here and a passionate, fun group of folks.

~Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

47 minutes ago, Conserv said:

Jeff,

“Sedan” doesn’t say anything about the number of doors. There are 2-door and 4-door sedans. A sedan generally has A, B, and C pillars. A “coupe” has no B pillar (or no pillar between the front and rear pillars). So the 2002 is a sedan in virtually all jurisdictions — although the Brits stuck an odd script badge on the ass of a few ‘02’s and tried to sell them as “Coupe’s”! ?

Welcome!

Regards,

Steve

ad_bmw_2002_coupe_bw_moveover_1974.thumb.jpg.2fa5f74a48e059e2e0eb51557ff0dc67.jpg

• Like 2

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

7 minutes ago, 02Les said:

ad_bmw_2002_coupe_bw_moveover_1974.thumb.jpg.2fa5f74a48e059e2e0eb51557ff0dc67.jpg

Ahhh... the smoking gun! Note, Jeff, that they even gave their special-edition “Coupe” a final accent aigu, I’m guessing so they could blame the mis-characterization on the French... ???

Thanks for sharing, Les!

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 1

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partgrp?id=2583-USA---114-BMW-2002tii&mg=62

Welcome.  Nice ride.

I believe the reason for the hard line from the gas tank is safety.  The carbureted cars fuel line is not under great pressure (right, group?).   Personally, I'd either keep the fuel line as is, or replace it with similar stock following the same path. You could spend the savings on other parts of the car. IMHO.

A period-correct trapezoid mirror could cost you $100.  Available from Vintage Autobahn I believe.  There...re-directed your spending for you.  ☺️  Or a set of flag mirrors @ $$$

Beware of aftermarket exhaust systems.  Get lots of advice and opinions.  Some don't fit that well and some are obnoxious after an hour of driving.  There are nice systems out there at reasonable prices.   I'm a stock guy.  I have the OEM system.  I don't give it a second thought.  Absolutely dependable and easy to re&re.  Part of why they coined the phrase "Whispering Bomb", I think.

Enjoy the forum and please post lots of pictures.  We love pictures.

• Thanks 1

73 Inka Tii #2762958

10 hours ago, s99 said:

Nice Car! Good luck with your build. Just about any question you could ever need an answer for is on this forum these guys know their stuff!!! Might as well post some pics of the M5 while you're on here...

I think that can be arranged! 

5 hours ago, Conserv said:

Jeff,

Welcome!

Regards,

Steve

Learn something new every day! Thanks for the info.

5 hours ago, JsnPpp said:

Nice looking car!  Digitally can't get closer than 10ft so we are all good.

Welcome to the world of 2002s and to the Faq, great seeing new 02 owners coming into the fold. Appreciate the formal intro too.

Tons of answers here and a passionate, fun group of folks.

~Jason

Thank you! The car has been repainted (poorly) but does look okay from a distance. Looking forward to using all of the resources this site has available for me.

5 hours ago, 02Les said:

Fun read, thanks for sharing!

4 hours ago, Conserv said:

Ahhh... the smoking gun! Note, Jeff, that they even gave their special-edition “Coupe” a final accent aigu, I’m guessing so they could blame the mis-characterization on the French... ???

Thanks for sharing, Les!

Best regards,

Steve

Ah hah, clever ?

1 hour ago, PaulTWinterton said:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partgrp?id=2583-USA---114-BMW-2002tii&mg=62

Welcome.  Nice ride.

I believe the reason for the hard line from the gas tank is safety.  The carbureted cars fuel line is not under great pressure (right, group?).   Personally, I'd either keep the fuel line as is, or replace it with similar stock following the same path. You could spend the savings on other parts of the car. IMHO.

A period-correct trapezoid mirror could cost you $100.  Available from Vintage Autobahn I believe.  There...re-directed your spending for you.  ☺️  Or a set of flag mirrors @ $$$

Beware of aftermarket exhaust systems.  Get lots of advice and opinions.  Some don't fit that well and some are obnoxious after an hour of driving.  There are nice systems out there at reasonable prices.   I'm a stock guy.  I have the OEM system.  I don't give it a second thought.  Absolutely dependable and easy to re&re.  Part of why they coined the phrase "Whispering Bomb", I think.

Enjoy the forum and please post lots of pictures.  We love pictures.

Appreciate the insight! I actually have the mirror sitting in a box of parts from the pervious owner. I believe it has been removed because he was working on getting the drivers side door lock unstuck and the window regulator working again. Those are two things I need to work on. 

Really appreciate all the comments and hospitality guys! 

-Jeffinslaw

4.jpg

Jeff,

“Sedan” doesn’t say anything about the number of doors. There are 2-door and 4-door sedans. A sedan generally has A, B, and C pillars. A “coupe” has no B pillar (or no pillar between the front and rear pillars). So the 2002 is a sedan in virtually all jurisdictions — although the Brits stuck an odd script badge on the ass of a few ‘02’s and tried to sell them as “Coupe’s”! [emoji54]

Welcome!

Regards,

Steve

Steve, you've described the difference between, in 1950s-'60s GM parlance, a sedan and a hardtop. But even those terms were not very accurate, because both were probably technically sedans.

The difference between a sedan and a coupe is actually in the rear-seat area; a sedan's is larger. In prewar cars, for example, a coupe likely just had jump seats in the back, with tiny (if any) rear quarter windows. In my dad's 1941 Chevy 2-door sedan, however, I can practically lock my knees straight out while sitting in the back seat.

So, for a German example, a 911 is a coupe, but the '02, with a rear seat suitable for (1970s) adults, is a sedan.

I recall that Car and Driver had a specific rear-seat volume that was the threshold between a coupe and a sedan, but a few years back they caved to common usage and now call all 2-door fixed-roof cars coupes.

And then manufacturers introduced "4-door coupes," just to mess with us all.

-Dave

Posted from my phone.

• Like 1

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

14 minutes ago, dlhoovler said:

Steve, you've described the difference between, in 1950s-'60s GM parlance, a sedan and a hardtop. But even those terms were not very accurate, because both were probably technically sedans.

The difference between a sedan and a coupe is actually in the rear-seat area; a sedan's is larger. In prewar cars, for example, a coupe likely just had jump seats in the back, with tiny (if any) rear quarter windows. In my dad's 1941 Chevy 2-door sedan, however, I can practically lock my knees straight out while sitting in the back seat.

So, for a German example, a 911 is a coupe, but the '02, with a rear seat suitable for (1970s) adults, is a sedan.

I recall that Car and Driver had a specific rear-seat volume that was the threshold between a coupe and a sedan, but a few years back they caved to common usage and now call all 2-door fixed-roof cars coupes.

And then manufacturers introduced "4-door coupes," just to mess with us all.

-Dave

Posted from my phone.

Thank you, Dave! Yes, my definition was mired in the immediate Post-War era. I was totally unaware of the Pre-War definitions.

Best regards,

Steve

12 hours ago, Conserv said:

— although the Brits stuck an odd script badge on the ass of a few ‘02’s and tried to sell them as “Coupe’s”! ?

Since this place is such a trove of info, does anybody (Steve, ahem, cough...cough...) have a picture of said script badge?

2 minutes ago, otisdog said:

Since this place is such a trove of info, does anybody (Steve, ahem, cough...cough...) have a picture of said script badge?

There was a thread within the last two years that showed the badge.... ?

Les might have been the source.

Best regards,

Steve