• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New 2002 Owner Checking In + Questions

Jeffinslaw

4 hours ago, Conserv said:

Thank you, Dave! Yes, my definition was mired in the immediate Post-War era. I was totally unaware of the Pre-War definitions.

Best regards,

Steve

It's even worse. Prior to the Great Depression, coupes were only single-row cars, at least as far as the covered seating area is concerned. Rumbleseats offered additional seating in the trunk space. Roadsters were coupes with folding roofs but lacking roll-up windows (don't tell Mazda or BMW). A coupe with a folding roof and roll-up windows was a cabriolet. Sedans could be two or four doors, but were always more than one row under the roof. The roadster equivalent of a sedan was a phaeton. The cabriolet equivalent of a sedan was a convertible sedan. 

Then they started crap with putting small back seats in coupes, eventually calling two-door hardtop sedans "coupes." Now we call the four-door-version-of-the-two-door-version-of-the-four-door-car a "coupe." And a two-row convertible SUV a cabriolet. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, otisdog said:

Since this place is such a trove of info, does anybody (Steve, ahem, cough...cough...) have a picture of said script badge?

Photo courtesy of Les, from the earlier thread!

Best regards,

Steve

EB385E65-F963-4FBB-9308-BF7659557B2B.jpeg

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

And to further muddy the "coupe vs sedan" definition, before WW II there were

• 3 window and 5 window coupes--mostly with only a single row seat inside (and possibly a rumble seat--an option, along with a roll-down back window so inside passengers could converse with those in the rumble seat)
  • opera coupes (a single full-width seat for the driver, plus one sideways seat in the back for one person)
  • "business coupe"--actually a sedan with a deleted back seat for traveling salesmen to store their samples.  This style extened well into the 50s, at least for Ford, Chevy and Plymouth.  The last true "business coupe" was a Chevette Scooter.

Automotive nomenclature trivia for today...

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Welcome to the best FAQ on earth.

How cool to start your Saturday with 10 new things about our cars (general automotive history too!)? Thank you wise sages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1965 Hillman Imp - Rosemarie

1969 BMW 2002 - Dolores

1975 BMW 2002 - Rolf

1984 BMW 533i Swap - Alfons

1 hour ago, hellayego said:

Welcome to the best FAQ on earth.

How cool to start your Saturday with 10 new things about our cars (general automotive history too!)? Thank you wise sages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really man, in one thread I've learned that I need slick tape for the garage drawers, bearings for my gas pedal, and a history lesson in automotive design and nomenclature!

Thanks all!

Bob

71 2002

85 M635

89 327is

98 M3

Now that the site seems to be working for me again... need some help from the experts. When I bought the car, the previous owner said I needed to replace the indicator switch and the wiper switch. He gave me the part number for the wiper switch, part #61311352636. However, no part number for the indicator switch. And according to realoem, there are several possibilities: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=ST12-USA-02-1972-114-BMW-2002&diagId=61_1126 Car was manufactured in February 1972.

Which parts will I need? Also, I believe I am missing several parts around the ignition tumbler. I will get a picture of that for you guys later today. Might also help with identifying which switches I need as well.

-Jeffinslaw

Here are the pictures I said I would get. Looks like a 12pin plug for the right side and a 6pin plug for the left side... anyways, I have the padded cover for the lower portion down by the pedals and the cover above the steering column that has the VIN on it. Not sure what other pieces I am missing. Working on this.

IMG_3006.thumb.jpg.5db9b85a38240bbd7744871d4a3dee2b.jpg

IMG_1868.jpg

*EDIT* So after some digging, I think I need part 61311352949 for the hi/low beam on the left side and 61311352636 for the turn signal wiper switch on the right side. Now to figure out which pieces I am missing on the steering column.

Edited by Jeffinslaw

38 minutes ago, Steve Tochi said:

Is that Epstein with Mrs. Kotter sitting on that bike?  If you know what I'm talking about, you're old. Sorry its Friday and had a rough week. 

Looks like Starsky putting the moves on Cheryl Tiegs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/4/2019 at 12:58 AM, Jeffinslaw said:

1.  One of the things I wanted to do was switch out all of the rubber hose and hardline tubing for the fuel system and run some stainless steel braided 8AN tubing under the car, through the trans tunnel and up into the engine bay and back. I'd replace the existing barbs with some metric equivalent AN fittings. Only issue here I can think of is something flying up and hitting the hose, but, if it is secured, that shouldn't be an issue. Additionally, I would go with a nice aftermarket exhaust and try and keep the braided hose as far away from the exhaust tubing as possible. In doing some searching, I saw that the hardline tubing was used because the system has a lot of pressure. Is replacing this hardline tubing with the stainless steel braided hose an okay idea? I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on this (good or bad).

Reconsider on using stainless braided line, it's still rubber and it will still deteriorate over time, lots of people complain about that expensive hose leaking after 6-10 years.

My plan is to run Nicopp 3/8" hard line feed and return lines, following the factory hard line that runs along the rocker.  I'll have rubber connections from the Nicopp to the regulator and fuel tank, but they'll be short and cheap/easy to replace in the future if they deteriorate/leak.

Unless you have a Ti, it's not high-pressure, my Weber is set for 3 psi, being fed by an electric fuel pump.

• Like 1

John Baas

1976 BMW 2002

2001 BMW M5

My Blog!