• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1976 Mintgrun 2002 . Nearly rust free. price reduced.

Gthielen

This is a great start for some one interested in a 2002 project. It's needs aren't too intimidating either. I met the young man who owned this car. He and his dad were working on this '76 Mintgrun and a blue E28 sedan that had a very long list of issues. As I recall, they were getting overwhelmed by the two projects. They live in a rural area north of Dayton somewhere. I was envious of the large barn where they kept the 2 BMWs....

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Hey Jim

Thank you for your post.  I can see why they would be overwhelmed.  Were they the ones that disassembled it or did they purchase it as a project?

My plan is to get the glass in, get it running and then drive it to determine what I have.

If you have the contact info for the duo, would you please forward it in a PM?

Thank you

Peter

@peterb man, I'm really glad you bought this... So I didn't impulsively do it instead. You saved my marriage ?. Love me the Mintgrun. 

PM sent.

James

• Like 2

1987 Porsche 944 Turbo (sold)
1973 Mintgrun 2002 "Kermit" (sold)

1973 Inka 2002 "Ernie"

1986 VW Vanagon Syncro Weekender "Otto Van Gonzo"

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All

This car is now at the mechanic.  Hopefully they are able to get it running without too much effort.  We'll see.

@TodB has suggested I attempt to track the former owner that had the engine built so I can get the compression ratio and other background information on the car.  This is a good idea.

Attached is link to an advertisement from June of 2015 that I believe was placed by that seller based on the matching VIN:  http://findclassicars.com/bmw/51708-restored-and-modified-1976-bmw-2002.html  I am hopeful someone here will know the seller in Farmington, New York and will be able to put me in touch with him or her.  (Yes, it is a shame the car no longer looks like it did in this ad!)

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide!

Peter

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peterb said:

Hello All

This car is now at the mechanic.  Hopefully they are able to get it running without too much effort.  We'll see.

@TodB has suggested I attempt to track the former owner that had the engine built so I can get the compression ratio and other background information on the car.  This is a good idea.

Attached is link to an advertisement from June of 2015 that I believe was placed by that seller based on the matching VIN:  http://findclassicars.com/bmw/51708-restored-and-modified-1976-bmw-2002.html  I am hopeful someone here will know the seller in Farmington, New York and will be able to put me in touch with him or her.  (Yes, it is a shame the car no longer looks like it did in this ad!)

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide!

Peter

Peter,

The 2015 Ebay auction Seller's ID was chriszilla

The link below is for a chriszilla on Ebay that may well be the same. This one is in Horseheads in NY which is not that far away from Farmington. HTH.

https://www.ebay.com/contact/sendmsg?item_id=1&recipient=chriszilla&message_type_id=14

• Like 3

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

32 minutes ago, 02Les said:

Peter,

The 2015 Ebay auction Seller's ID was chriszilla

The link below is for a chriszilla on Ebay that may well be the same. This one is in Horseheads in NY which is not that far away from Farmington. HTH.

https://www.ebay.com/contact/sendmsg?item_id=1&recipient=chriszilla&message_type_id=14

Les 

Wow, this is great!  Thank you for the information and the link.  I sent Chris an ebay message and he contacted me immediately!  He was excited to hear from me and hopes I get the car back on the road.  He could not recall the compression ratio but stated he had the block decked and thought the ratio was 9+ to 1, but less than 10 to 1.  Super nice guy!

Thank you so much!

Peter 

1 hour ago, peterb said:

Les 

Wow, this is great!  Thank you for the information and the link.  I sent Chris an ebay message and he contacted me immediately!  He was excited to hear from me and hopes I get the car back on the road.  He could not recall the compression ratio but stated he had the block decked and thought the ratio was 9+ to 1, but less than 10 to 1.  Super nice guy!

Thank you so much!

Peter 

Great. Glad I could help.

• Like 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

• 4 months later...

Here is one similar to mine I found on Hemmings:  https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/bmw/2002/2391587.html?refer=blog  It is in great condition!  Gives me something to aspire to with my project!

Mine is at the shop.  The new carb has been installed and it is running.  Sounds great.  Waiting on a new headliner, then I'll get the glass installed.  Looking forward to the first drive.

• Like 2