• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 Tii on BAT

rstclark

1 hour ago, rstclark said:

Greg

Yes I registered the car in my name and title is in my name This was necessary to be able to drive the car this past year to sort everything out and have insurance 

You can view it as a 2 owner car if you like, but since title will be held only for the restoration period in my name I prefer to think of it as a one owner car temporarily owned by the restorer and passing on to the second owner

Spoken like a true car salesman?

If you have a Title with your name on it, and previously there was Title with another Owner's name on it, then it has had (at least) two Owners.

Nice car by the way.

Edited by 02Les
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

1 hour ago, rstclark said:

Greg

Yes I registered the car in my name and title is in my name This was necessary to be able to drive the car this past year to sort everything out and have insurance 

You can view it as a 2 owner car if you like, but since title will be held only for the restoration period in my name I prefer to think of it as a one owner car temporarily owned by the restorer and passing on to the second owner

A two owner car that identifies as a one owner car, how very 2019 ?. Beautiful car, I’m sure it’ll do well regardless of the math. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

17 hours ago, mvliotta said:

I’m thinking well north of $40k, Nick, but of course, I’m a little biased. 

Mid-sixties for this beauty. 

+1

I’m with Vince on this. And if this doesn’t easily top $50K, I would be sorely disappointed! That would signify a very down market.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

2 hours ago, mvliotta said:

I’m thinking well north of $40k, Nick, but of course, I’m a little biased. 

Mid-sixties for this beauty. 

1 hour ago, Conserv said:

+1

I’m with Vince on this. And if this doesn’t top $50K, I would be sorely disappointed! That would signify a very down market.

Best regards,

Steve

What do they say? From your lips to God's ears? Hide tide raises all boats, and all that stuff? One can only hope!

Other than this "one owner' marketing ploy, perhaps you're correct, though. $50K is a lot of dough, however.

You can get a 'saweet' Porsche for that money these days, boys. Beauty late G50 or not so great 356. Once you go past $50k it opens all sorts of choices.

I'm sticking with $40k plus. 

• Like 1

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

"What do they say? From your lips to God's ears? Hide tide raises all boats, and all that stuff? One can only hope!

Other than this "one owner' marketing ploy, perhaps you're correct, though. $50K is a lot of dough, however.

You can get a 'saweet' Porsche for that money these days, boys. Beauty late G50 or not so great 356. Once you go past $50k it opens all sorts of choices.

I'm sticking with $40k plus. "

Different strokes. Say you lusted for one of these in 1972, freshly out of school and earning <10K....suddenly it's 47 years later

•  
  • Like 2

Okay. I'm totally busted on the one owner thing 

Mike G s comment is hilarious and convinced me to face the facts

Here is the History:

The car was produced May 18, 1972 in Ceylon

Transferred to Hoffman Motors on May 19,1972

Sold August 11, 1972 by BMW of San Diego

One owner for 46 years in San Diego  (garage stored 2003 they 2018)

Purchased in September 2018 by me. Title was placed in my name

There you have it. 

If not for the thoughtful intervention by FAQ. I could have gone on in denial about being the second owner

Thank you everyone. I feel better now The truth will set you free

Rob

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

$50K (or $60K) would be ridiculously cheap for this car given it’s year, color, condition and provenance (2 owners is still remarkable).  It all comes down to who is present at auction close and how bad they want it. It’s useless and a bit silly to talk about “market value” as it’s more about that one buyer and his/her emotional state, as well as his/her financial means. Ask me how I know...

@maharaja I hear what you’re saying and it’s a valid point...although some people would much prefer a top-notch, 1972 tii over a G50 Carrera. Different strokes, it’s not about performance-per-dollar but more about what a given individual’s passions are drawn to.

COOP (former ‘72 tii owner)

Edited by COOP
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, rstclark said:

Okay. I'm totally busted on the one owner thing 

Mike G s comment is hilarious and convinced me to face the facts

Here is the History:

The car was produced May 18, 1972 in Ceylon

Transferred to Hoffman Motors on May 19,1972

Sold August 11, 1972 by BMW of San Diego

One owner for 46 years in San Diego  (garage stored 2003 they 2018)

Purchased in September 2018 by me. Title was placed in my name

There you have it. 

If not for the thoughtful intervention by FAQ. I could have gone on in denial about being the second owner

Thank you everyone. I feel better now The truth will set you free

Rob

Thank you for the mea culpa, Rob!

So with a build date of May 18th and a Port of Entry of Los Angeles — as stated on the window sticker — I’d guess 7 to 9 weeks from factory to BMW of San Diego. That places the car at the dealership in July 1972, and it’s sold August 11, 1972.

And, since the 1973 models would be arriving soon, the buyer got a $100 discount off sticker — per the handwritten notations on the window sticker!

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)