• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to open stuck sunroof?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I just bought a 71 02 with a stuck/broken sunroof. The roof is on close positions. How do you open and check whats wrong with it? The way it looks when I try to crank it open the driver side dont move but the passenger side seems to open a little. Any 411 would be great. Thanks in advance>>>Rey/Rey

Guest Anonymous

here's what I did on an E3 (similar roof setup)

1) try to open it the proper way: if you can get it to open just a little (about an inch) you can make this happen. Pull on the sunroof panel headliner down from the front (where it's slightly open) to pop the clips out of the holes. Then push the headliner panel back into the roof of the car, exposing the sunroof panel

or...

if you can do that, just carefully bend the liner horizontally until you can pry it out and then, once out, try to bend it back into shape (it has a thin metah frame)

2) locate the sunroof cable mounts (one per side). These are little bolts that attach the sunroof to the tabs coming up off the cables... undo those. Also there are usually guides up front (little tabs with a screw or two), one per side... take those out. take the sunroof crank handle out (unscrew and then pull it out)

3) lift the panel out of the car, then go from the top of the car and undo all the screws in the metal (silver) panels that make up a 'frame' around the hole. then take the frame stuff apart, remove the cables, etc.

-Andrey

Guest Anonymous

1. Open it as far as you said it will go (an inch or so

I suppose).

2. remove the crank handle and gear.

3. push the sunroof panel back about 3"

4. pry down the headliner panel clips and slide it

back out of the way (be careful not to bend it, it will

almost never bend back straight like it was

originally) Leave it in the rails unless you remove

the rails, it will be fine there, did I mention you don't

want to bend it up? ;-)

5. Undo the small cable securing screws and

continue w/ removal pulling the sunroof up and out.

Paul's method works too. The one detraction w/

removing the rails is that you risk pulling out the

little plastic mounts at the end of the rail near the

back of the roof, you don't want to have to put those

back in w/ your headliner in.

Good luck and take it slow.