• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Introducing my 69 Granada (photos)

thisisjuan

Beauty car. 

‘My car was originally Granada but as you can see not much original anymore. Mine did have a smooth dash but 4 pot calipers. My VIN is in my signature. Also as a note, that instrument cluster has been worked on. The rings around the gauges should be a chrome like finish not silver. 

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

1 hour ago, thisisjuan said:

I'm currently looking for the short silver wiper arms if anyone out there has a pair.

For correctness, you'll need to find 13" silver wiper blades.  While it isn't shown in the parts book, 68s and 69s (and possibly early 70s) came with 13" vs 15" blades.  

Oh, and the 68's also came with dulled silver rings and trim around the instruments.  Part of the 1968 Federal rules required non-shiny surfaces in the driver's field of vision; thus the dull finished wiper arms/blades, and removal of the chrome trim strips from the dashboard at the end of the '67 model year (or shortly thereafter, but before 1 Jan 1968).

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

1 hour ago, thisisjuan said:

I'm currently looking for the short silver wiper arms if anyone out there has a pair.

For correctness, you'll need to find 13" silver wiper blades.  While it isn't shown in the parts book, 68s and 69s (and possibly early 70s) came with 13" vs 15" blades.  

Oh, and the 68's also came with dulled silver rings and trim around the instruments.  Part of the 1968 Federal rules required non-shiny surfaces in the driver's field of vision; thus the dull finished wiper arms/blades, and removal of the chrome trim strips from the dashboard at the end of the '67 model year (or shortly thereafter, but before 1 Jan 1968).

mike

• Like 2

Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

1 hour ago, mike said:

mike

Thanks Mike, so is what I got on my instrument cluster correct? Those silver rings look dulled to me but I've never seen the chrome ones to be able to judge.

7 hours ago, Conserv said:

Based on your fixes to date, Juan, it doesn’t look like you need much help from us!  The flush front turn signals, for instance, U.S.-spec until ca. 1970, are spot on.

How does the engine compartment look? Just tryin’ to help... ?

Regards,

Steve

Here's a couple of photos from today. We tried to clean it up as much as possible here to make it run efficiently, not going for correctness, but take it away and let me know anything (good or bad) that you might see. Appreciate it!

IMG_8568.jpg

IMG_8569.jpg

IMG_8570.jpg

IMG_8571.jpg

First off, Juan, you have even the engine compartment looking loved!

They didn’t do much masking when they painted it! Many of the bolts, nuts, and details currently painted Granada were originally natural finish, largely cadmium or zinc plated. Examples are the nuts securing the tops of the strut towers, the fasteners holding the hood hold-down bar, and the hood hold-down bar itself.

Below is my ‘76 to give you some sense of what was painted and what was not (although obviously many details changed from 1968 to 1976). Removing overspray can be accomplished one item at a time.

The oil filler cap on your ‘69 should look like the cap on my ‘76.

Regards,

Steve

DC1830E4-4524-4255-94E7-6FC750004B49.jpeg

80D811B3-FDBF-4EAD-908B-BDB6461AF358.jpeg

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Oh, and something I noticed in your engine room:  the ground strap on the battery should have two flat braided cables (at least the factory one does):  the large strap goes to the engine block, and a smaller one grounds to the body.  It appears you have an aftermarket ground that only goes to the engine.  The ground path from engine to body is kinda chancy, that's why the factory ground has two straps.  The OEM ground cable assy is still avialable; if you don't have both ground wires, suggest buying the factory cable for a good ground.  That'll help with all your body-mounted electrical stuff--lights, radio, heater blower, wipers etc.

And did you check the air cleaner housing inside to see if it was originally grey or black?  my 69 has a grey housing, but I think at least the '68s and possibly some early '69s had black housings.  

mike

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, mike said:

Oh, and something I noticed in your engine room:  the ground strap on the battery should have two flat braided cables (at least the factory one does):  the large strap goes to the engine block, and a smaller one grounds to the body.  It appears you have an aftermarket ground that only goes to the engine.  The ground path from engine to body is kinda chancy, that's why the factory ground has two straps.  The OEM ground cable assy is still avialable; if you don't have both ground wires, suggest buying the factory cable for a good ground.  That'll help with all your body-mounted electrical stuff--lights, radio, heater blower, wipers etc.

And did you check the air cleaner housing inside to see if it was originally grey or black?  my 69 has a grey housing, but I think at least the '68s and possibly some early '69s had black housings.  

mike

Thank you for the comment on the grounds. I will definitely look into it because I do see the needles go a bit crazy at times when I turn on the wipers, and we did have some issues with the rear driver driving lights. 
About the cleaner housing: man, my buddy went ahead and painted it black cause to him it looked like crap the way it was, now I'm thinking shit wasn't it gray? I can't say it was exactly gray, but it was definitely not black. I honestly haven't looked inside myself but I'll take a look.

Also: Steve, thanks for pointing out all the overspray. Jesus, these people did a messy job!

I have questions about the shifter knob and the gas cap. 
Shifter knob: I simply would like to replace it with the same one (assuming it's the factory one?) a bit less beat up but I can't find the exact same shape wooden knob. Anybody have any clue as to what a correct knob would be, and if the one on the car is it? Also, does the knob simply screw in? I'll attach a photo of the "before" where the knob is visible and can be zoomed into.
As far as the gas cap, I've seen 69s with a more flat gas cap. The one on my car has these more protruding 'wings' or handle, and a cover for the key lock. Just wondering what's correct. Attaching a pic of that as well (no closeup, sorry, but the details of the cap I think can be made out).IMG_6223.thumb.JPG.e787a7f9caa880713b780745a3eb947c.JPG 

IMG_8415.jpg

Edited by thisisjuan
  • Like 1

Forgot to mention on my previous post...that's a factory locking gas cap that's correct for the early roundies (there were three styles used over the years of production) and those aren't real common.  Hope you have the key for it; blanks are availalbe, but I discovered that the correct blank number may--or may not--fit the lock.  And if your gas cap cork gasket has disintegrated, or the rubber one really makes it hard to remove, use the old gasket as a template and cut a second one out of a deli container lid (polyethylene).  Install the poly gasket between the rubber one and where it bears on the car, and it'll turn much more smoothly.  

The OEM shift knob was a grippy-finished rubber affair; most were quickly replaced with a wood or leather one.  Can't tell for sure from your picture, but if it has an enamel BMW logo in the center and an aluminum ring at the base, it's probably an AMCO wood knob--very popular aftermarket product from the 60s and 70s and a period accessory--much classier than the OEM knob.  Other companies made wood knobs too, but the AMCO ones were the nicest.  And it screws on.  

mike

Although there was no factory-installed optional shift knob, BMW offered a dealer accessory knob — in either wood or leather — as shown in the first photo below, from a ca. 1972 U.S. dealer accessories brochure.

The factory shift knob, from 1966 through 1977, was, as Mike pointed out, a molded rubber thing. Given the number and range of the ‘02 sub-models, it’s almost surprising that the same rubber shift knob was used for the full duration of the ‘02’s production, regardless of sub-model. Below, photos two through five — all from factory brochures — show the factory shift knob on a 1967 1600-2, a 1969 2002ti, 1974 2002 turbo, and a 1976 1502, respectively.

The last photo is of the original knob in my ‘76.

Regards,

Steve

EAE1E93A-ECBC-4FA3-9613-B33106E7F401.jpeg

242E1636-A533-4799-AAFC-D4F7EA7960CF.jpeg

EF2B0DE9-65B7-4E1E-8C34-B99A5B1476FE.jpeg

5F7798BF-2072-4B50-835F-8EA4F2A11001.jpeg

A5859408-55F4-4869-8FB8-E4999BFB6A0F.jpeg

CE1CF8C8-CD82-409C-8358-18C9C8BD14D9.jpeg

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Great to see these historical photos and material from brochures. I've been looking for images like these online without much luck. Is there an archive section on this site where these could be found?
It's crazy that I had never seen a stock shift knob in real life. I have not seen one 2002 with it, and I have not come across a reproduction of it for sale. Seems like almost every owner out there replaced theirs with a logo one or with something else.

Here's another question:
Below the rocker trim on both sides of the car, what color is the car supposed to be painted? I see some are black/undercoated below that low trim line, while others are painted the color of the car (I believe mine is black right now). What's correct?

Lastly, attaching a photo of the gas cap on my 69.

Thanks again for the continued help! I'd rather keep it all in one place vs. starting 10 different topics.

IMG_8585.jpg