• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Introducing my 69 Granada (photos)

thisisjuan

Great to see these historical photos and material from brochures. I've been looking for images like these online without much luck. Is there an archive section on this site where these could be found?
It's crazy that I had never seen a stock shift knob in real life. I have not seen one 2002 with it, and I have not come across a reproduction of it for sale. Seems like almost every owner out there replaced theirs with a logo one or with something else.

Here's another question:
Below the rocker trim on both sides of the car, what color is the car supposed to be painted? I see some are black/undercoated below that low trim line (as mine is right now), while others are painted the color of the car. What's correct?

Lastly, attaching a photo of the gas cap on my 69.

Thanks again for the continued help! I'd rather keep it all in one place vs. starting 10 different topics.

IMG_8585.jpg

Great to see these historical photos and material from brochures. I've been looking for images like these online without much luck. Is there an archive section on this site where these could be found?
It's crazy that I had never seen a stock shift knob in real life. I have not seen one 2002 with it, and I have not come across a reproduction of it for sale. Seems like almost every owner out there replaced theirs with a logo one or with something else.

Here's another question:
Below the rocker trim on both sides of the car, what color is the car supposed to be painted? I see some are black/undercoated below that low trim line (as mine is right now), while others are painted the color of the car. What's correct?

Lastly, attaching a photo of the gas cap on my 69.

Thanks again for the continued help! I'd rather keep it all in one place vs. starting 10 different topics.

IMG_8585.jpg

50 minutes ago, thisisjuan said:

Below the rocker trim on both sides of the car, what color is the car supposed to be painted? I see some are black/undercoated below that low trim line, while others are painted the color of the car

Roundie 2002s had body color rocker panel paint; squarelights and very early 1600s (without the stainless steel rocker trim) had black painted rockers.  Lots of owners have painted the rockers black over the years, as it visually lowers the car a bit.  I did that with my '73, but when I repainted my '69, I left the rockers body color to keep it original looking.

And yes, that's the correct early locking gas cap for a roundie 2002.  The one Steve illustrated from the accessories catalog is the later style; still a third one has no keyhole cover, and is what's available now from BMW.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

53 minutes ago, thisisjuan said:

Here's another question:

"Search" is your friend - this was discussed (most recently) last month.

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/250544-so-black-rockers-or-body-coloured/

Edited by John_in_VA
added link

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

1 hour ago, thisisjuan said:

1966, at least early 1966 cars: black rocker panels with no rocker panel moulding.

1967 through 1973 (most round taillight cars): body color rocker panels with a rocker panel moulding

1974 through 1977 (square taillight cars): black rocker panels with a rocker panel moulding

But, as a recent thread revealed, many owners feel free to paint the rockers however they prefer. For example, black rockers make the car appear to sit higher but look sleeker, emphasizing the horizontality. Body-color rockers tend to make the car look “chunkier”, but closer to the ground.

That thread shows some photos of cars, illustrating these preferences and rationale.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/12/2019 at 12:42 AM, mike said:

The original wheel covers should not have a round hole for the valve stem, only a small cutout in one of the oval perimeter slots.  The wheel cover centers were also painted silver, not polished. 

This is the type of stuff I really appreciate and that really gets me haha. Those details.
Just as a small update, I now have a clean Florida title in my name. Glad that part worked out considering I bought this with no title.

Here, Mike. Thank you for the education!

IMG_9221.jpg

• Like 3

Beautiful work so far! Congratulations on what seems to be a very nice car. 

Helpful tip... in the pictures of the engine bay I noticed your #1 plug wire appears to be up against the metal bracket of the wiper washer bottle.

88B58D6D-2572-478B-B541-CAFCB2193993.thumb.jpeg.fc419db97c34c9aea3cfae888ffe12fe.jpeg

Don’t let that happen... the engine vibrating will eventually wear through the wire and cause a misfire (ask me how I know). Same could be said for the long coil wire... that can be replaced with a much shorter wire to solve that problem. ...and the positive battery leads should not rub against the back of the alternator. Yikes... 

Looks great, though! Keep up the good work. 

Ed Z

Edited by zinz
  • Like 3

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

7 hours ago, zinz said:

Beautiful work so far! Congratulations on what seems to be a very nice car. 

Helpful tip... in the pictures of the engine bay I noticed your #1 plug wire appears to be up against the metal bracket of the wiper washer bottle.

Don’t let that happen... the engine vibrating will eventually wear through the wire and cause a misfire (ask me how I know). Same could be said for the long coil wire... that can be replaced with a much shorter wire to solve that problem. ...and the positive battery leads should not rub against the back of the alternator. Yikes... 

Looks great, though! Keep up the good work. 

Ed Z

Thank you for pointing this out. Will definitely take a close look this weekend. 

also took care of the black oil filler cap and wipers. 

018340DC-12C3-4D62-A64C-D9F684A687FD.jpeg

8613A056-F489-4E25-856A-641FE0CD1790.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

For reference, here's a similar post from 5+ years ago about a '69 Granada 1600 I found in the high dessert of CA.  I still have this car but I plan to sell because I'm working on two more 02 projects....one of them is a '69 2002 Chamonix.

• Like 1

'73 2002tii Colorado

'71 1600 cabriolet

'69 1600 cabriolet

I sell floor pans for coupes and 2002's

On 11/23/2019 at 3:37 PM, Flunder said:

Any update on this Granada?

Not much since my last posts. Been driving it and loving it. Well, I guess I do have a couple of small updates.

I replaced the shift knob after several attempts at unscrewing the one that came with the car. Boy it took a lot of effort. I was happy to finally get it out but not too happy to see I messed up the shifter in the process because the vice grips beat right through the rag that I used. Should've used something else. The new knob partially covers the damage so I'm not sweating it too too much but man I was pissed. 

Only thing I will say is this knob isn't threaded, only plastic inside and it sort of pushes in, and man it RATTLES like crazy, so now I have a nice knob and very annoying sound. Any tips on how to get rid of that please send them my way!

Other update is that I've been noticing that when I turn on the car there's a lot of white smoke coming out, and the fumes are pretty major. It only does it while the car is cold, though, it all goes away once the car warms up. My buddy told me it has something to do with the emissions system that California cars have (suggest I get rid of it), but that it should go away once the car is warm (and it does).
Anyone else experience this?

Photo of the knob and my fuckup below! :D

IMG_9291.jpg

IMG_9295.jpg

59502825675__8AE60794-8622-4B08-B26A-97C993401F84.JPG