• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Introducing my 69 Granada (photos)

thisisjuan

Hi,

I don't believe that 69's had emission equipment, but others will know better than I on that for sure. If that is the case it could be weather related (colder temperatures/more humidity) make the exhaust more visible. If not that, then it is possible you have a leaking head gasket?

Regarding the shifter - does the problem feel more mechanical to you? In other words, trying to eliminate that its not just cold weather (and higher transmission oil viscosity) that is causing the issue. If it feels like the shift gate is blocked, that is a different deal.

I'd crawl underneath and wiggle the shift linkages/bolts to see if anything is amiss at a minimum. Wouldn't hurt to change the transmission fluid if you haven't already (didn't read this thread again, you may have already done it).

Thoughts only!

Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

you might never get rid of the notchy shifting unless you do a full rebuild. You might try combos of gear fluids...

I've had a few STOCK push on knobs and they did come loose and spin.... and vibrate lol. Tape for spacing would help....for awhile.

I hated them. Now I see some nice original ones selling for stupid $$ from some of the 'Parts Gougers'

Edited by iinca

Juan,

Get a screw-on shift knob. The only shift knobs that came on ‘02’s from the factory were the black rubber style. Not flashy, but fits most hands well, never too cold, never too hot, grippy when you’re sweating (below, in my ‘73 and ‘76). BMW did offer, strictly as a dealer accessory, leather-covered and wood shift knobs (third photo below). I thought all these were screw-on as well. Neither your old shift knob nor your new shift knob is OEM. Don’t waste your time with an annoying shift knob. Shifting is 20% of the fun!

Some members sing praises of a particular transmission oil that calms notchy shifting. But I can’t recall what it is. ? And are you certain it’s not a clutch issue! No fluid leaks from the clutch lines?

Best regards,

Steve

C1702A3D-1185-494C-B450-7AA5C47FD7A9.jpeg

25A520AB-D281-4F4B-AC49-8A9A39436054.jpeg

8173C161-F339-4F23-B045-646E2D8EA1D9.jpeg

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

On 11/24/2019 at 10:17 PM, thisisjuan said:

...My buddy told me it has something to do with the emissions system that California cars have (suggest I get rid of it), but that it should go away once the car is warm (and it does)...

Most ‘02’s were originally equipped with, at minimum, air pumps: 1968 through l972 models (excepting late 1972’s with E12 heads), 1975 models, and 1976 models. (I just learned about the 1973-74 exception a couple days ago from jimk and Mark92131.) These systems were mandated by Federal emissions requirements, but also met California emissions requirements, except in 1976, when the California requirements exceeded the Federal standards. So... your car, at least originally, had an air pump and related emissions equipment, e.g., a diverter valve, injection nozzles in the original exhaust manifold, etc. These do not create white smoke on start-up. You can, indeed, remove any remaining emissions controls — making certain to plug any open ports — but that is unlikely to resolve the white-smoke-on-startup issue.

There are several good diagnostic threads on white smoke, walking through items such as blown brake boosters, blown head gaskets, etc.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)