• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frame rail bolt size??

TNan

Weird,  3/8 x16 (threads per inch) is a course thread SAE bolt. 

There are actually 3 thread pitches available for M10 metric bolts.

https://www.boltdepot.com/Metric_hex_bolts_Zinc_plated_class_8.8_steel.aspx

I recommend that you verify threads on the old frame rail to eliminate the possibility that its been bodged in some way.

If I was looking at damaged threads there either from corrosion or mechanical extraction of said corroded bolts, I would certainly consider rethreading to something else if possible.

IMG_1228.JPG

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

The bolt shown in the first picture is not the original one fitted by the factory as it's threaded all the way up the correct bolts are threaded only about 3/4 of the way up but that doesn't answer the thread pitch question but shows some one has changed bolts at some time.

• Like 3

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

• 2 weeks later...

**** UPDATE ****

So it turns out that the vendor I purchased the frame rail from was not using W&N as their main supplier as they normally do with all their other 02 parts - so I just assumed that was the case.  I was fortunate to get a refund which then I immediately purchased the frame rail from W&N directly.  I received the frame rail and VOILA! it's the manufactured to spec including the proper bolt holes!  

W&N is amazing!

Thanks to everyone who offered their 2 cents to this thread - now the 'fun' part starts!!! 

PS...I would love for someone to let me know or point me to a video that shows a frame rail replacement.  The only one I could find is Restoration Design's frame rail replacement on youtube.

9 hours ago, TNan said:

PS...I would love for someone to let me know or point me to a video that shows a frame rail replacement.  The only one I could find is Restoration Design's frame rail replacement on youtube.

I read up on it and it looks like a LOT of work.  Only the back half of mine was rotted so I ended up cutting the back part off my replacement and welding it in instead of doing the whole thing.

Also, if you have a big bumper car, you'd have to move the bumper mount over as well..

John Baas

1976 BMW 2002

2001 BMW M5

My Blog!

31 minutes ago, xr4tic said:

I read up on it and it looks like a LOT of work.  Only the back half of mine was rotted so I ended up cutting the back part off my replacement and welding it in instead of doing the whole thing.

Also, if you have a big bumper car, you'd have to move the bumper mount over as well..

well I'm into deep now so there's no turning back....haha

IMG_1184.JPG