• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB: '02 in CA

majdomo

22 hours ago, Conserv said:

Whew!

By the way: (a.) round taillight cars don’t have roundels on the trunk lid; (b.) the red-center taillight on the left might be the original taillight, the amber-center taillight on the right might be a post-factory replacement; check carefully for stamped dates on the backs of the lights, particularly early ones; the switchover from red to amber probably occurred just before January 1, 1970; and (c.) the flush front turn signals are likely original; the switchover from flush to bulge also probably occurred just before January 1, 1970. I had a very early 1970 (VIN 1668093, September 8, 1969) with original red-center taillights (dated August 13, 1969) and flush turn signals. I pulled off all those old “relics” and replaced them with “modern” amber taillights and bulge turn signals — Hey, it was 1973! ?

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Regards,

Steve

This is so awesome, thank you!! I was wondering which of the two taillights were original and didn't find a ton about the change except that model year 1970 was when they switched to the amber lights. I'll certainly take a look, the only "bummer" is that red center lenses are probably more expensive. I'm fairly sure this has had a respray (noticed the less-than-amazing job masking off the trunk gasket, for example), so not replacing the roundel may have been an oversight at the time. And the turn lights definitely stay, I understand those can be tough to replace too!! Funny what goes around, comes around.

Rented an engine hoist today to get the numbers-matching motor on a stand, where it will live in my garage until I get around to the rebuild. The replacement engine (running in car now) has dual Webers, which may be hard to give up once used to it, but we'll see. For now, I would just be thrilled to get to Cars and Coffee before the New Year!

Once the car is here I'll point this to a dedicated build thread, so that I'm not cluttering up the FS thread with updates... sorry mods!

• Like 2