• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Geez, another Oil thread!

GDI

Ok, I want to change my oil in my '74 tii, and would like to do it this weekend.  I have receipts from the previous owner and they used "15W40 Rotella T".  I assume this is Rotella T Diesel Oil conventional, am I right?  I just want to make sure that this is what I want to do since my car is not a diesel!!  It would be nice to use since it is available locally.

This webpage has the following specs, which seems pretty good for ZDDP, no? 

17. 15W40 “NEW” SHELL ROTELLA T Diesel Oil conventional, API CJ-4, CI-4 Plus, CH-4, CF-4,CF/SM = 72,022 psi
zinc = 1454 ppm
phos = 1062 ppm
ZDDP = 1200 ppm

Am I on the right track here?

Thanks!

Yes, a # of threads already speaking to this already.

However since you asked and as I also have a '74 tii, Valvoline VR1 or Brad Penn racing oil (as it's the old Kendall GT-1 formula). Both have higher levels of ZDDP which is essential for engines of this vintage. As I understand, the BP has slightly more ZDDP so I prefer it. You can order it by the case off Amazon.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

Thanks for indulging my question 1936Spyder,  I appreciate it.  I think the essence of my question around whether diesel oil is a no no for the car.  I wasn’t able to find anything about whether it is a problem.  But if the Rotella is borderline for ZDDP, then I’ll keep looking. 

2 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

10w 30 is pretty thin for these engines.

Some people use 10w 40, but I haven't read about people using thirty weight.

I use the 20w 50 VR1 (dino).

Thanks.

Thats interesting, the manual recommends 10w30 as one option ( along with 10w40  and 10w50). For temps “usually under 50 degrees F”.  I am in Connecticut and we will usually be below 50 till spring.  

I think I should be good till I change it in the spring, no?

• Haha 1

Just bought a couple of quarts of 20w50 VR1 and my local Napa auto yesterday. Not really all that expensive, a tad over $5 a quart. (had to grab wiper blades and saw it on the shelf) I believe the zinc content is the same whether it is standard or synthetic. 

• Like 1

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

I suppose.

Here in western Washington state, it only gets so cold in the winter.  I  just use the 20w-50 all the time.  It seems like the engine tends to run at the same operating temperature, with the only real difference occurring durring warm up periods.  I am always careful not to rev the engine above 3500, or so, while it is warming up.  Also keeping in mind that the oil warms up four times slower than the coolant, so the temp gauge can be misleading (I read that here on the FAQ).  The concern is that you'll get higher oil pressure with the colder thicker oil.

I do not have an oil pressure gauge, or oil temperature.  Just the idiot light in the dash and the stock temp gauge.  One of these days I may add one or two gauges. (I do love the AFR gauge).

Tom

4 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

Some people use 10w 40, but I haven't read about people using thirty weight.

I;m "some".  Never used 20W-50 (in 49 years of ownership)

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.