• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Radiator servicing What's everyone doing nowadays?

conkitchen

With the passing of time and guys like Curt Ingram, it has left us in a world of offshore providers and otherwise excessive rank and file repair shops.  

I have at least 4 OEM brass tank radiators and would like to rebuild, however it's looking to cost about $400. Online units made from aluminum are half that and Ireland sells theirs for around $325 + tax+shipping.  

What happened to the those plastic/aluminum e21 radiators that were $200?  

What to do? 

But what do I know

Are re-cores really that much?  The last one I had done was $200 for a 2-row high-density (fins) core with 25% higher volume.  Fantastic cooling.  They even knocked out the common dent on the top near the cap.

That was 3 years ago.  I chose to use it instead of a W&N rad, which is pretty darn good as well.  I sold my spare W&N.  Maybe I should have kept it.

https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/catalogsearch/result/?___store=eng&order=name&dir=asc&q=tii+radiator&___from_store=ger

$280 plus shipping

73 Inka Tii #2762958

I just paid $275 to have a local old school guy restore one of mine that was disintegrating. A little more than I wanted to pay, but I'd rather support local. They've been in business over 50 years and will be closing up shop by the end of the year unfortunately. 

• Like 2

'68 Caribe 1600-1563167

2 minutes ago, PaulTWinterton said:
5 minutes ago, FunElan said:

They've been in business over 50 years and will be closing up shop by the end of the year unfortunately. 

That's EXACTLY what happened with my guy.  

Yep, all the good shops (in fact, nearly all the shops) in our area are gone.  I'm hoping that my 3 row core radiator (done by a local guy 5=6 years before Curt started doing 'em) in my '73 and my staggered two row core in my '69 last forever....

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Just now, conkitchen said:

I have actually never bought from them.

They're very good and efficient.  I always to try to load up on my purchases to warrant the shipping from Germany.  They have changed to UPS from DHL.  Used to be 3 working days for delivery anywhere in NAmerica.  Awesome.  

If you ask them for a pro-forma invoice of goods they will tabulate and calculate shipping as well.

info@wallothnesch.com

Albrecht Walloth will personally reply.  He's quite knowledgeable as well.

• Like 1

73 Inka Tii #2762958

20 minutes ago, PaulTWinterton said:

They're very good and efficient.  I always to try to load up on my purchases to warrant the shipping from Germany.  They have changed to UPS from DHL.  Used to be 3 working days for delivery anywhere in NAmerica.  Awesome.  

If you ask them for a pro-forma invoice of goods they will tabulate and calculate shipping as well.

info@wallothnesch.com

Albrecht Walloth will personally reply.  He's quite knowledgeable as well.

THEY HAVE A PULL DOWN WHICH WHEN ENTERED UNITED STATES,  SHOWS 49 EUROS= $54.49 TOTAL ENDS UP $335.00 SHIPPED. 

Looking like a recore might be the way to go as the guy said his estimate could be lower but has to see it of course to be exact.   

(copy and pasted from W&N website) 

For all countries as listed below we can offer you an all-inclusive standard shipping price per order for all items which are not marked as a bulky item. It does not matter how many items you order. You pay for each order only once the all-inclusive standard shipping. Unfortunately, bulky items cannot be dispatched via standard shipping. Bulky items are products which are longer than 200 cm, in the extent greater than 300 cm or heavier than 30 kg.

Please select your country

Germany            – Standard shipping –             5,90 EUR                         

United States                – Standard shipping –                 49,00 EUR                                                         

Sometimes, I feel like Brooks from Shawshank Redemption when he finally is let out of prison and realizes  "the world done got it's self in a darn hurry." 

Edited by conkitchen
  • Like 1

But what do I know

I'm running a 3 core aluminum radiator, Bought it as a blem (few bent fins) for $125. I'm not using a mechanical fan and have a pusher electric on front that I rarely have to turn on if at all, Car runs just below 1/2 on temp gauge plus you get the added HP from no fan

29 minutes ago, conkitchen said:

THEY HAVE A PULL DOWN WHICH WHEN ENTERED UNITED STATES,  SHOWS 49 EUROS= $54.49 TOTAL ENDS UP $335.00 SHIPPED. 

They could slip some other goodies into the rad box, such as small items like these or anything smallish.  Items that are harder to source in America.

https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/chrome-cap-you-need-4-for-1-car-52-06-02.html

If for some reason you do go with W&N, check your lower hose to confirm the angle.  The W&N inlet is horizontal (later cars) vs angled (early cars).  You may need to buy a hose.

One more bit of trivia.  The W&N rad does not have a bung.

73 Inka Tii #2762958