• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Radiator servicing What's everyone doing nowadays?

conkitchen

8 minutes ago, thinksound_mike said:

I have a Spectre 320i radiator I got from Amazon for $119 0r $129; I can't remember since it's been a few years. All metal too. Works great.

What year 320i?

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

I've  had the W&N radiator with the higher cooling rate installed in my '73tii for over three years now and it's been working great.  I found that the radiator cooled so good that I ended up putting in a higher temp thermostat (80 degrees) just to keep the car running hot enough in the winter (here is California) which isn't that cold.  I think the prior thermostat I had was a 75 degree one.  I also swapped out the stock 400mm tii fan for the smaller 360mm fan.  Still runs plenty cool.

Edited by JohnS

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

I have two used, (probably leaky?), original radiators sitting in storage.  One is totally dent free and the other has the dent Paul mentioned.  It'd be fun to tap that dent out of the brass, once it was apart....

I can't bring my self to scrap them, because they seem worthy of re-coring; which is just a matter of a little simple soldering, right? 

How hard can that be? 

Of course there is LEAD involved... but if I don't eat it, or breathe it and contain the mess, I should be fine.

The OEM one in my car is nice though.  I think it was replaced with the nose.  (guessing)

One nice thing about climbing parts prices is that it inspires people to fix and re-use stuff.

Yet, as these two radiators sit, they have very little resale value.

Perhaps using a torch to sweat off the ends would make them cheaper to send through the mail and thus, more appealing.  (?)

Assuming the time it would take needn't pay... and would be enjoyable, of course.

Playing with torches is fun and I'll bet they'd come apart in a matter of minutes.

... must ... resist ... this ... tangent ... today ... 

Tom

6 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

t'd be fun to tap that dent out of the brass, once it was apart....

I can't bring my self to scrap them, because they seem worthy of re-coring; which is just a matter of a little simple soldering, right? 

How hard can that be? 

I watched my guy do the teardown and assembly.  You are right, it's all done with a torch and a deep bath to cool the parts as each job is completed.

He ordered the exact core dimensions from his supplier over the phone.  Once the core arrived he "leaded" the whole thing back together in minutes.  Quite the craft.

The hangers on the sides can be adjusted, as I requested he move the rad as far forward as possible.  I got at least another 1/8" clearance from the fan with this adjustment.

He knocked out the dent in the upper tank, which still looked primitive, but he then smoothed out the surface with lead.  A couple of coats of gloss black and...good as new, actually better.

RadOnly.thumb.jpg.801e37ec4be970722a5403c5234be473.jpg

• Like 2

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Yeah, looks like the 320 rad is out of the system.

Bummer.

Also, there's no way in hell you can have a radiator shop these days.

Between the chemicals needed for the stripping,

California Prop 65 (what a travesty THAT has become)

and the limited demand, there's no winning that one.

t

because brass gives you all sorts of diseases.

When you use it in a car.

Edited by TobyB

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Here in Southern California, there are a few 'grandfathered' shops which still do old-school radiator repair and re-cores, and will until they get bored / hassled-beyond-tolerance or sell the property to a condo developer and move to Oregon or Washington. Same with shops doing hexavalent chrome work.

I take OEM units and have them re-built with a new, two-row, high-efficiency core for about $325, for street cars. (which reminds me to take a few more cores over there). -KB

Edited by kbmb02

58 minutes ago, kbmb02 said:

Here in Southern California, there are a few 'grandfathered' shops which still do old-school radiator repair and re-cores, and will until they get bored / hassled-beyond-tolerance or sell the property to a condo developer and move to Oregon or Washington. Same with shops doing hexavalent chrome work.

I take OEM units and have them re-built with a new, two-row, high-efficiency core for about $325, for street cars. (which reminds me to take a few more cores over there). -KB

Living in Houston it makes sense to have a radiator that works as well as possible. Is a two row high efficiency core the best way to go for this, or are there 3 row high efficiency cores as well? 

Koboldtopf - '67 1600-2

Einhorn - '74 tii

MY UPDATE: 

So after crunching the numbers

1) Ireland Engineering: All aluminum (non factory look) high efficient unit $325 + tax + ship ? 

2) Ebay China made aluminum ( suspect fitment and performance) $220ish with shipping 

3) W&N OEM style $280 + $54 shipping 

4) Re-core my date correct factory unit with high efficient core; $350 out the door from the local guy.  

I chose #4  and if you want to use them here ya go.  

Sacramento Radiator Sales & Service

6430 Franklin Blvd # 4, Sacramento, CA 95823

(916) 392-1149

But what do I know 

But what do I know

1 hour ago, conkitchen said:

MY UPDATE: 

So after crunching the numbers

1) Ireland Engineering: All aluminum (non factory look) high efficient unit $325 + tax + ship ? 

2) Ebay China made aluminum ( suspect fitment and performance) $220ish with shipping 

3) W&N OEM style $280 + $54 shipping 

4) Re-core my date correct factory unit with high efficient core; $350 out the door from the local guy.  

I chose #4  and if you want to use them here ya go.  

Sacramento Radiator Sales & Service

6430 Franklin Blvd # 4, Sacramento, CA 95823

(916) 392-1149

Dutton Radiator Service in Santa Rosa, CA is another good old-school radiator repair shop. About 9 years ago, I took my leaking 3-row radiator to them, and the guy working there recognized their tags that were soldered to it with the repair date on them, now there's three. I had the radiator back the next day. He remarked that he remembered making that radiator for Rick, the PO of my car, something like 35 years ago. 
They were also the cheapest choice for my Chrysler van and Ford Ranger replacement radiators a few years ago. Had 'em in stock, too.

Jerry

no bimmer, for now