• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Speed Holes!

joshkrahn

I've been hemming and hawing about what to do about my car's rust situation for years now. Doing it myself is a frightening prospect, no matter how many YouTubes I watch. And I can't really justify writing a blank check to a restoration shop. Then I discovered that the local vocational high school offers a night class in "collision repair" for adults. It's a win-win: I get an instructor to guide me through the process and a fully equipped shop, AND I don't need a bottomless budget.

At last week's class I took the plunge (literally) and started cutting the rust out. Starting with the passenger quarter panel, behind the wheel arch and along the rocker. It was terrifying to cut into my cart for the first time, but now I have a lot more confidence. I have some patch panels from Walloth Nesch, but I might just fab the pieces I need. We'll see.

Not sure why I'm posting this, except just to share. And encourage everyone to look up their local high school/community college/continuing education spot - they might have something that will motivate you to get your project finished.

Anyway here are some pics...

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_23d3.thumb.jpg.bfe8c7e97a78ed0efe3c523efd3b7176.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_23e5.thumb.jpg.3c871ffc63b071336f391cac87687142.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_23ee.thumb.jpg.777a3c1967c92dd4a439c55a7d684570.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_23f2.thumb.jpg.b3c1fc5faf4830b51ebc723929f58844.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_23f5.thumb.jpg.0a4742b1c7fd5e64eba7d2770c30b13e.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_23d9.thumb.jpg.660a0e1cc295ba53d7d3161a10d40ecd.jpg

• Like 4

1970 Granada 2002

Way to go Josh!   You'll be surprised at what a great result you can end up with.  Just take your time. Make sure everything is lined up BEFORE you put the torch to it.  

I've been doing this kind of work for a long long time.  Making panels is fun, and the little nip from you're back corner wouldn't be too tough.  However, you're dealing with a curve in the panel, and then the light curve in the break.  If you've got a repair panel, cut out what you need from it.  You'll spend a lot less time.  

It would take me several hours to get that perfect if I were making it from scratch.  Unless I was just feeling like making something, I'd use a piece from a re-pop myself. 

Your rocker panel is easy.  You can make that piece in no time.  Not sure what kind of tools you have access to at the shop, but either way, you have the luxury of topping that off with stone guard before paint to hide some sins.  

• Like 1

As a graduate of a college automotive vocational program I am very pleased to see this. Much respect for doing your research and getting your hands dirty.  The pride and knowledge you gain from doing it yourself  is worth the blood sweat and tears.

Homer Simpson: "those are speed holes they make the car go faster"

• Like 1

Good for you!  I did the same thing back in the mid-1980s--first I took a semester of welding, learning both torch and arc welding, then enrolled in an evening auto body class as you did.  A bonus was the teacher--a member of our antique car club.  I learned more in six months of class than I had in 15 years of trying  to learn by myself.  I did abourt 90% of thebodywork  on my '69, and all of it on my '49 Fiat woody wagon; both look pretty good.  I learned MIG welding in the auto body class, along with forming metal, dent slapping and even leading seams. (The Fiat had lots of them)

A hint on those rear wheel opening lips:  you can use pieces cut from a rusted out or otherwise unusable front fender--the lips rarely rust on the front fenders, and the curves are close enough to make patches.  You can also buy complete rear quarter lip stampings and use as little or as much as you wish.  I did that to both my '69's rear quarters--about 4 hours per side to butt weld 'em in, but nearly 30 years later they still look good.   

And make sure you wear eye protection whenever you're grinding or sanding (not to mention welding!).  I was a slow learner, and it took several trips to the ophthalmologist to have rust or metal particles removed from my eye to convince me.  

mike  

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Josh (and others): 

One more hint on that right rear quarter rust--if you look behind that panel, you'll see a little stiffening piece welded to the quarter and then to the gas tank support--supposed to keep the quarter from flapping, I suppose.  It's only spot welded to the quarter, so moisture gets behind it and causes a rust hole right where yours is.  Don't bother to replace the brace when you repair that panel; I removed the one on my '69 when I repaired the same spot back around 1983, and the quarter hasn't flapped yet!

mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Nicely done for first time, welding is one of those things you either good at or your not. Looks like you have the knack for it.

Lucky for me I have a Son who is a very talented welder/fabricator,  so no worries if I every have to cross that bridge.

Again well done.

Great job and kudos for jumping in! As @AceAndrew said a few posts ago, I too, learned everything about autobody collision repair and painting at my community college. Great instructors, guidance, tools, frame rack, 2 spray down draft booths, & 3 primer bays (along with an 8-bay, 2-vehicle deep workshop...). A great learning environment! I love that you’re gaining confidence in major body repairs/refinishing! ??????

Mike

74 2002