• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heater Control Water Valve: drip, drip, drip

joebarthlow

A puddle of coolant under the car, passenger side, near the area of the fire wall and a pressure test of the cooling system revealed my water valve to the heater box is leaking. It looks like it's been rebuild before, but not sure how well. Question: Are the rebuild kits good ($90), or shall I buy a new valve ($295)? I don't mind the extra cost as long as it's worth it. Also, is my valve on up-side-down? Shouldn't the arrow point towards the cabin? Does it matter? Thanks

Yes, I am aware of the rebuild page 

IMG_9062.thumb.jpg.3a45911d59172bfacc7613612e8a8a24.jpg

Edited by joebarthlow

1974 BMW 2002 (Polaris > Sienabraun)

Maybe only the cover is backwards?  Does your heater work correctly?

Are you sure that the valve is leaking?  It should be obvious under the valve and dripping toward the elephant trunk drain tube (to the ground as you report).  ALTHOUGH, Sometimes it's just one of the hoses or clamps that are old and failing.  I recall needing metric hose for the valve-to-heater connection.  Standard size just wasn't quite right and failed early.  Old hoses shrink and the clamp no longer seals it.

Good luck!

• Like 1

73 Inka Tii #2762958

10 minutes ago, PaulTWinterton said:

Are you sure that the valve is leaking?  It should be obvious under the valve and dripping toward the elephant trunk drain tube (to the ground as you report).  ALTHOUGH, Sometimes it's just one of the hoses or clamps that are old and failing.  I recall needing metric hose for the valve-to-heater connection.  Standard size just wasn't quite right and failed early.  Old hoses shrink and the clamp no longer seals it.

Good luck!

Good point. The hose to the head looks like it doesn't owe you anything.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, PaulTWinterton said:

Good luck!

When I did the pressure check, it felt like the coolant was dripping from the bottom of the valve. I'll do another test and check that top clamp. whether the cover is backwards, I do not know. The heat has worked minimal at best over the last two winters of ownership. The PO said he rebuild the heater box so I assume he rebuilt the valve. When I do pull this valve, I'll replace the clamps. they look a little suspect. thanks Paul

1974 BMW 2002 (Polaris > Sienabraun)

The cover is supposed to fit one-way. There is a wide groove, one-quarter around on the inside of the cover as a guide and stop for the internal plug.

Coolant pressure will push on the plug for tight shut-off. Since the valve was installed backwards, pressure will push on the closed plug away from the brass valve body and coolant may leak by. When the valve is installed with the arrow towards the cabin, coolant pressure presses the plug into the valve body for a tighter seal.

I rebuilt my valve with a kit, If I could re-use the original valve plug, I would and just find new O-rings to replace the old hardened seals. Unfortunately, the plastic stem's squared-off peg end had rounded corners so the control lever had no grip on the shaft.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, joebarthlow said:

The heat has worked minimal at best over the last two winters of ownership.

For anyone whose heater is marginal take note: the 02 heater kicks out REALLY hot air when working properly with the valve wide open and the coolant level correct.

Funny, you can diagnose low coolant level by a drop in heater temperature while driving.  Oops, time to fill the rad!

Edited by PaulTWinterton
  • Like 2

73 Inka Tii #2762958

5 hours ago, PaulTWinterton said:

For anyone whose heater is marginal take note: the 02 heater kicks out REALLY hot air when working properly with the valve wide open and the coolant level correct.

And....if you are overheating in traffic you can use the heater to help cool it down. Of course you might just want to crack open the window to expel the heat. Exceptional at heating up that roadkill Hot Pocket!

Toward the bottom of the thread in this link, I explain the size of the heater valve O-rings and the place where I purchased them from in case you're interested.  Good luck,

John

Link:  

Edited by JohnS
  • Like 2

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

The heater core-to-valve hose (the little short one) is often and shamefully neglected.  Some years ago I was checking my records on hose replacement as I had just drained and flushed my cooling system and was preparing to install fresh antifreeze.  To my surprise, I could find no record that I (or the previous, first owner) had ever replaced that hose.  It was 26 years old--still holding water but was hard as a rock.  After removing the hose clamps, to remove it I had to crush it was a pair of Channel locks--it shattered like glass.  

Yours doesn't look much better...

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

8 hours ago, joebarthlow said:

OK, I ordered the rebuild kit from Blunt Tech with new clamps and water hose. I'll check out the how-to and report back. thanks

I'd be changing both of those hoses while the valve is out. Cheap insurance. Be very gentle with the heater case bracket.

• Like 1