• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heater Control Water Valve: drip, drip, drip

joebarthlow

Regretting my choice. In three weeks, so far Blunt Tech managed to send me the same hose twice and no other parts. Sucks because they are typically reliable. With the holiday on the way, I'll be lucky to see anything within a month. Any suggests where to buy a complete valve out there? I actually drive my car. 

1974 BMW 2002 (Polaris > Sienabraun)

You could try replacing the o-rings. My local bearing shop carries O-rings. I can mail you the small one. Big one you're on your own. Or put in a straight pipe for now. Or use plumbing tap and fittings.  Seems to me I saw that one on here. I sure wouldn't be shelling out $300 for new one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hans said:

You could try replacing the o-rings. My local bearing shop carries O-rings. I can mail you the small one. Big one you're on your own. Or put in a straight pipe for now. Or use plumbing tap and fittings.  Seems to me I saw that one on here. I sure wouldn't be shelling out $300 for new one.

thanks for the tips. I'll pull the o rings and hit the hardware store tomorrow.

I ordered the new seals from: www.theoringstore.com

I ordered seals made of V75 Viton after reading about that material's properties on the store's website.

The small seal is 2mm x 8mm V75 Viton O-ring Black  Model: V2.00X008 -- (2mm thick, 8mm inner diameter)

The large seal is 1.5mm x 31mm V75 Viton O-ring Black Model: V1.50X31 -- (1.5mm thick, 31mm inner diameter)

I believe that the smaller seal in the Blunt kit is 1mm x 8mm -- (1mm thick, 8mm inner diameter, not sure of the material it's made of)

I use these O-rings AND Blunt's kit.  The stainless shaft in Blunt's kit is well worth the price vs. using an original with the plastic shaft.  Unless you have a valve that has a brass shaft in good condition.  Some valves had brass and later switched to plastic/nylon.  That goes for the internals too.  The all brass valves are nice.  Then you just need the O-rings, new screws and the star lock washers.  I've never been able to remove the old screws without destroying them.  Had to tap them and use an easy-out.

Edited by JohnS
  • Like 1

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

16 hours ago, joebarthlow said:

Regretting my choice. In three weeks, so far Blunt Tech managed to send me the same hose twice and no other parts. Sucks because they are typically reliable. With the holiday on the way, I'll be lucky to see anything within a month. Any suggests where to buy a complete valve out there? I actually drive my car. 

That's a bummer.  Maybe Blunt is temporarily out of stock on that kit or something.  Let me look in my parts stash.  I might have a set of O-rings that I can send you.  Maybe even a complete valve.  Will report back later today.  Are you going to pull the heater box?  It's pretty hard to replace the valve otherwise.  At least for me.

Edited by JohnS
  • Like 1

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

I'm sure it's possible to remove the valve without pulling the heater box, but removing the arm from the heater valve and then putting it back on correctly can be a PITA.  Just don't remove the cable from the arm.  If you do, you're screwed.  I've got big hands which makes it impossible for me.  Does look like the valve is installed backwards on Joe's car...  Arrow pointing the wrong way

Edited by JohnS

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

Some pictures for reference.  Arrow points towards the heater box

Closed (side view) Arm fully pulled in.  Heat OFF.

Closed1.JPG

Open (side view) Arm pushed fully out. Heat ON.

Open1.JPG

Closed (top view)

Closed2.JPG

Open (top view)

Open2.JPG

Closed.

Closed3.JPG

Open.

Open3.JPG

Edited by JohnS
  • Like 1

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

4 hours ago, JohnS said:

Some pictures for reference.  Arrow points towards the heater box

Closed (side view) Arm fully pulled in.  Heat OFF.

Open (side view) Arm pushed fully out. Heat ON.

Closed (top view)

Open (top view)

Closed.

Open.

thanks, these images are quite helpful!