• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recaro's VS Standard seats

SydneyTii

Guys has anyone had success in making the original seats as supportive as Recaros, I don't mean so much in the twisty bits, though you could build the bolsters up a bit,

but more along the lines of not making your back sore, without being too soft or lacking lumbar support?

I am at the point where my Recaros need recovering, but id rather put the money into the original seats as I think they look much nicer.

I think I may be kidding myself, but maybe someone has pulled it off?

I thought i'd seen someone ages ago say they managed to get the original seats to a high standard, and that they preferred them, I may be going nuts but I thought it was someone like Sports Car Restorations....?

Edited by SydneyTii

Crickets! 

Stock vs. Recaro?

I know nothing of a modified stock seat — although some probably exist. But my view is that a period Recaro is in another league than a stock seat, even if the stock seat is in excellent condition.

My first point is that only the 1975-76 style seat — designed for the e21, being introduced in spring 1975 — has any measurable “bucket” to it. 1966 through 1974 ‘02 seats are pretty much slabs, regardless of their taut good looks, at least when in tip-top form.  And I really like the seats in my ‘76: I’m currently running my spare front seats, freshly rebuilt.  But they ain’t no Recaro’s ? and after three hours behind the wheel, I’m done with them.

Second, there was a reason the factory offered — at least in the non-U.S, markets — Recaro and Scheel options: it made no sense to reinvent the wheel when Recaro and Scheel already made great seats that satisfied the small percentage of ‘02 buyers who needed more seat for their sporty driving, and was willing to pay for it.

If Recaro is your point of reference and your goal, you’re always going to be disappointed with a stock seat. That’s my opinion. (In full disclosure, I’m working on Recaro Idealsitz S seats for both my ‘73 and my ‘76.)

Best regards,

Steve

3E5A549F-D9D4-4032-A17F-1AF34871281A.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Ok cheers Steve,

i thought it would be s stretch, 

Time to give up on that idea!

i guess it’s off to the trimmers for my Recaros, I will just go with a retrim in something that looks appropriate to a 74.

Edited by SydneyTii
  • Like 1

Good call Scott,

ive seen these up close, they look quite period in the perforated finish, I saw them and cobras side by side at a show, and whilst the Cobras looked nice they looked far more modern, but still very nice.

i assume the price is per seat, if so it would work out the same as a retrim of my recaros.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, saaron said:

You could get something like these.  They are new, and hence are contoured a bit more for "today" vs. 1977.  

Just a thought.  

https://classiccarseats.com/monte-carlo-seats.php

Scott

Good call on them, as long as you don't 'have to have' an original Recaro or Scheel, which you would probably pay 5x more (or more depending on the seat) to buy second hand.

• Like 2