• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What would you rather have: BMW 2002 tii or BMW E9 3.0?

davidhunternyc

What would you rather have: BMW 2002 tii or BMW E9 3.0? - Poll  

38 members have voted

1. 1. BMW 2002 tii or BMW E9 3.0

Hello, 

I have been researching classic BMW's for some time now. I am torn over two models, both of which are my favorites, but I have never driven either one of them. I'm in love with the 2002 tii and the E9 3.0. To all of you experts out there, what would you rather have: BMW 2002 tii or a BMW E9 3.0? Most importantly, why? Why would you rather have one over the other? Your thoughts and explanations would be very helpful. This thread is about you and your thoughts, not mine. Please, talk, talk, talk. Write a novel about these two cars. I am here to learn from you. Thank you.

"Money no object" but you can only have one car. You must choose one. If you don't choose, you get a kick scooter.

Photo is from member, Swiss 2002 tii. Thank you.

BMW.jpg

Edited by davidhunternyc
  • Like 2

It depends on purpose.

I've just in September driven 6.000 km with the 3.0 Csi from germany up to the north of scotland down the west coast over to ireland down the west coast to england and back to germany. I think the Csi was the perfect car for that trip. For the shorter trips on the twisties in the Black Forest I'd choose the 2002.

The e9 has all the comfort, speed and trunk you want if you're traveling

IMG_3628_k.JPG

Edited by uai
  • Like 4

As the above two folks point out, they are pretty different.

I have a '72 tii.  Compared to modern cars, it is light and tossable.  Very small compared to newer cars.  Very direct and visceral driving experience.  And relatively loud on the highway.  Super fun on a curvy road.  Not AS fun on a six hour interstate slog.  I have a stock driveline.  

In terms of presence, the 02 is more likely to be characterized as "cute" or "fun" vs. "premium" or "luxurious".  It's a bit classy-looking, but not like a coupe.  

Super fun to drive.  It's all about that.  And cool car people know it's a cool car, basically.

I know lots of people have both, so I'll leave the "compare and contrast" essays to them.  

Scott

3F247695-E664-4F4D-A148-4B454B3D5AC0.jpeg

• Like 2

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

The 02's rust mainly in know spots that are fairly straight forward to repair, the coupes rust everywhere and are extremely complex to repair. So i would take the 02 over the coupe.

• Like 4

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

The e9 was my dream-machine when I was in high school in the mid-70's and I learned to drive in a '72 2800 Bavaria.  Back then, my short term goal was a 2002.  My second and third cars were '02's, ('68 Manila resprayed tan, '72 Atlantic).  After raising the kids et al, I am back in the fold with a 73tii (Atlantic).

As beautiful as they are, e9's carry a high cost of admission and maintenance.  Finding one without serious rust issues is another factor.  An e3 would be a nice, but then again, rust and parts availability.  Interesting note, the e3 was lighter than the e9, so in theory may have been faster.

02tii has it's challenges.  Some of the ti-tii specific items are at or approaching un-obtainium.

Edited by David Layton
  • Like 2

Frau Blucher - 73 tii

Captain Biggles - 66 Triumph TR4a

I have both a 1973 2002 Tii & a 1973 3.0 CSi.

2002 Tii - Nimble, responsive and very engaging fun. Great for spirited back road driving. 5-speed is a plus for long highway drives. If I could only choose one '70s BMW it would be my '73 Tii

3.0 CSi - The most beautiful BMW to come out of Munich. A grand touring car designed for high speed comfort. Inline 6 is so smooth and fairly powerful at ~200hp (~180 hp for US spec.) 5-speed is a huge plus. Drawbacks are they are expensive to restore and a restored one is expensive to buy. Only thing more expensive than an E9 is a cheap rusty E9. Visit e9coupe.com to learn more. 

I drive these two cars extensively around the US & Canada. They are completely different driving experiences. While both are fun, the Tii is more of driver's car than the CSi. Recommend test driving both before making a decision.

Vern Mid America 2019.jpg

Driving Athen by Kyle van Hoften copy.jpg

• Like 8

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Thank you all for your responses so far. I know that they are two very different cars with very different purposes but the original question still stands. O.K., let's put it this way. Money is no object. Horses for horses. You just won the lottery. You MUST choose only one car, the 2002 tii or the E9 3.0. What will it be? Please explain your choice. If you don't choose, you get a kick scooter.

... and thank you adawil2002 for your explanation! : )

Edited by davidhunternyc
  • Like 1

I like the thought but asking a 2002 fan website "which car is the best" will not provide meaningful data, nor will it have a large enough sample size to make a determination.

The only way you will determine this highly subjective answer is to see/drive both types of cars in all types of conditions. Then decide for yourself.  If money isn't an object, then buy both...

Jason

Edited by JsnPpp
  • Like 3

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

All very good responses above, the bigger question is who are you behind the wheel what do you want from the driving experience...go drive both and get back to us...

I only have 2002s...Barney 

C73E6BDA-603C-4FD0-8983-601877D4A04B.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…

I’m all about looks: the Big Coupe is one of the loveliest car designs of all time. And a BMW six is icing on the cake. Did I mention the leather upholstery? 

When it comes to the ‘02.... uh, looks is not what comes to mind. I’ve been an ‘02 owner continuously since 1973, but an ‘02 doesn’t hold an aesthetic candle to the Big Coupe.

Yes, an ‘02, and, especially, a tii is a blast to drive, but I’d take a Big Coupe over a tii if money were no object.  If you buy me one, I’ll let you drive it... ?

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I have never been in a E9 let alone drive one. The E9 is a stunning car but I'll keep my 2002 thank you.

Someone else can't answer your question,only you. 

For me the 2002 checks almost all the boxes I need, from the great body lines to the way it handles back roads the car is a blast.

Honestly, when I drive mine the radio is off 90% of the time. I just want to hear it run through the gears. The car is almost perfect.

Hell every time I get in and start it,it makes me smile. Sometimes it even makes me young again.

• Like 2

I have always loved the E9 and to me it is still the most beautiful car BMW has ever made.  You asked which one I would rather have (I currently own 2 '02's) with no reservations I would say the E9.  Looks, comfort, style, LOOKS.  You put no provisos on price so I'm going to stick with the E9. 

I don't own one because they have always been out of my price range.  I worked on E9's when they were new and I loved them I just could not afford one.  Once they were inside my price range they turned out to be rusty which then put them back outside my price range!!!!!   I still work on them for other people (mostly race cars actually)  and I would seriously consider trading my 2002 Turbo for a Street CSL If I could find a good solid rust free car.  The mechanical parts of the E9 don't bother me even a little, it's the RUST and some of the trim pieces that drive the costs over the top.  It is no more expensive to keep a good E9 running than a Tii.  if they both start out as good solid complete running cars. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

Money no object?

My vote goes for a well built, e9 with a stout motor. I drove Steve A’s a few weeks ago...triple Weber’s and everything tight as a drum....one helluva nice car. 

2CABAB1E-55BC-4FFD-9C4E-9CDC2BAB798C.thumb.jpeg.3a8a912b76108f22133148ee67b4b08b.jpeg

Ed Z

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

@zinz Sorry to defer but that bridge is gorgeous. Where is this bridge?  I just saw the documentary, "Why Bridges Collapse", about the Morandi Bridge in Italy that collapsed in 2018 killing 43 people. After watching this and seeing why the Morandi bridge was flawed I can immediately see what engineering improvements were made to this bridge here. The cables are threaded in such a way that if one cable deteriorates it is easily replaced without compromising the other cables. There are also no "plates" to give way and to pull apart from this bridge. Amazing.

Now on to that gorgeous, silver BMW E9. What is a "stout" motor? What made this car better than other E9's you might have seen? 

Thanks.

Edited by davidhunternyc